Hypertension and possible Gallbladder problem

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please help! I fell and twisted my ankle at the beginning of December.  Almost immediately I felt an uncomfortable feeling on my right side under my ribs.  By the middle of December, the feeling had not let up so I decided to go to the ER.  I was diagnosed with hypertension and hypokalemia.  They prescribed me blood pressure meds and let me go home after a few days.  Still my right side didn’t feel quite right, so I found a doctor who did an ultrasound on my gallbladder and discovered polyps in my gallbladder.  I also have developed a heavy feeling and discomfort on my right shoulder and right knee.  

This new doctor thinks my gallbladder needs to come out, but is worried about my still high blood pressure.  He is adjusting some of my meds to see if it brings my blood pressure down.  He’s scheduling me for a EKG and some test on my kidneys.  Do you think the high blood pressure is connected to my right-side discomfort?  I’m also now feeling tightness on the right side of my chest and I’m not sure if that is from the gallbladder or these meds.

What does this sound like to you?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, from reading about your situation I think that your fall  is probably just the catalyst for other tests to be done which has showed up some other issues. My husband has high blood pressure that was found out by accident but now he is on medication but I haven't heard him say he had any discomfort before but I do wonder if you fell on your right side that you may have strained yourself when you fell. If you are unsure if your meds are causing some problems then go back and see your doctor and they will try some different medication but it maybe due to your polyps. I know a retired GP who had polyps in his gallbladder and he was in alot of pain on the right and in the shoulder which is classic gallbladder pain. I would say if you're worried then go back to your doctor who will be able to assist on the medical side.

Please keep us updated with what happens and good luck.

• Posted

Thanks so much to you two for replying!  My doctor is changing my meds today.  He is concerned about the surgery with my blood pressure.  He’s taking the water pill away and modifying the dosages of some others. I wonder if this is due to the hypokalemia (low potassium).  Every time I have been to the hospital since December my potassium levels are very low. When they gave me potassium at the hospital it brought down my blood pressure.  I wonder why my potassium is dropping so low all the time?  
  • Posted

Hello-

Reading Katherine's answer I would have to say I agree with all of it - the other issue with Gall Bladder may have been there awhile and it took this fall to find it! Pulling for you to get through this-

Jonna

• Posted

That is possible although before this happened at the beginning of December I never noticed any pain on my right side. Of course, I guess the polyps must have been there for some time so it probably was a problem for some time, I just didn’t notice it.  It has now been a month and a half that this has been going on.  

Also I should mention I have not yet had any nausea or fever this whole time.

Btw I'm a 33yr old guy.

• Posted

Costochondritis can occur after trauma (fall) and could account for your right sided pain. Having more than one issue at hand, it's important to get BP and any kidney issues treated prior to GB surgery. Just had surgery on Friday and I can assure you that you need some down time for GB removal recovery. I realize at 62, I haven't bounced back as quickly as I have in the past. Google costpchondritis and ask your doctor about it. The pain can become quite severe and even mimic a heart attack. Best of luck and please let us know how things go.

• Posted

At first glance the symptoms sound familiar, especially the mimicking a heart attack part. Thanks for bringing this up. Is it possible that some of the high blood pressure could be caused at least in part by the right-side pain?  
  • Posted

Pain can cause increased blood pressure.
    • Posted

I ate some greasy food today and now I'm really feeling it.  The good news is that my blood pressure came down a bit after the doctor modified my blood pressure meds.  The bad news is I'm getting dizzy when I get up real fast.  It is also making me drowsy.  

• Posted

Hi West, don't forget any meds like this take a while for your body to get use to but if it continues then go back to your doctor. Also your blood pressure has been lowered so you'll have a bit of postural hypotension if you get up quickly this isn't usually anything to worry about as your body regulates itself to the medication as long as you're aware of it. If you've got the drug information then it'll give you everything you need to know and when to go back to your doctor. I hope this helps. Take care

• Posted

The fall was probably a blessing in disguise , because now your getting looked at by proffesionals.

Your pain in right side and shoulder sounds very musch how my gall bladder trouble started. one day nothing then it just started (had it removed dec 16)

The knee pain could be from the fall.

And it sounds like your GP is working on getting your BP under control.

So try not to worry too much. try watching what you eat and see what if anything makes it worse.

It can vary from person to person 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.