Hypertension diagnosed

Posted , 5 users are following.

keeping record after high Bp was noticed by gp and neurologist been suffering severe headaches daily  my Bp last few days have been  [url=tel:154/93 156]154/93 156/108 [url=tel:176/112 194]176/112 194/118 [url=tel:163/77 167]163/77 167/81 [url=tel:107/92 134]107/92 134//82 and today I slept till 3.30pm done Bp soon as I woke it was 179/151 then 10pm 187/95  I go back to get blood taken Tuesday as she couldn't get any Friday  looking at my readings will I need medication I'm 49 have cervical stenosis cervical and lumber spondyloosis disc degenerative disease already on gabapentin amitrypline tramadol propronol my ecg was normal my family history mum open heart surgery dad double bypass 2cardiac arrests and brother 49 triple bypass after heart attack any advice be great thank you 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry the numbers been printed wrong hope you can read them x
  • Posted

Hi Catherine,

Your BP readings look a bit erratic and several of them seem to be quite high.

I think you should definitely discuss these with your GP.  He/she may decide to prescribe a BP medication to bring your BP down.

Don't worry too much.  When I was diagnosed with slightly raised BP, GP and I tried a couple of different medications and doses until a suitable one was found.

My BP is now under control, and would be even better if I made some better diet choices. 

The BP meds help me a lot, but I have to help myself also.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for replying I've got to have blood tests on Tuesday hopefully all the tests needed will be done I'm not as active since my spine surgery 2014  and not much overweight  I cut down on smoking I don't eat salt never have I try to walk if I can this is all new to me xx
  • Posted

I need to loose quite a lot of weight, but don't add salt, eat low fat and low sugar.  I also have a lower back spine problem - degenerative disc disease - but delaying surgery as long as possible. ie - its not too bad at present, and I can walk up to 4 miles without too much pain etc.

My 2016 target is to get to a healthy weight, and get off my BP medication.  Long term aim is to see my 10 month old grandaughter grow up and go to university.  I'm 68, so aiming for the long term !  :-) 

• Posted

im sure you will reach your aim my 1year old grandson keeps me sane in so much pain every day from stenosis and spondyloosis and headaches got to keeping going not give up you take care 😊
  • Posted

Yours is labile/variable like mine from high to normal. My high readings are all first thing in the morning and go down with exercise and as the day goes on.

You should ask for a 24 hour or longer monitor to get an idea of when it is high and what you are doing at the time. They always tell me it is the average that counts although I disagree with that.

The most important thing is to stop smoking completely. Take your BP when you have not had a cigarette for a while and again right afterwards and see the difference.

• Posted

I will do this Derek I think they will suggest the 24hr monitor it was 212/112 when I went the hospital with my headaches it came down slowly after I got morphine and tramadol through the drip and I had to lie still on the bed for 2hours I'm only worried because of my family history my nan had a stroke and heart attack x
  • Posted

Catherine I am abit confused have you had a 24 hour monitor?

• Posted

I have not yet hun had Ecg which was normal go back for bloods tomorrow as couldn't get any Friday have home monitor so was given a sheet and told to record readings so I imagine that will be next stage monitoring and investigating at the moment I'm also been referred to pain management for chronic daily headaches x
  • Posted

Catherine, from your readings and taking into account your family history, it would seem that you do need treatment for hypertension, and your GP is the best person to advise on this.  However, do also seek the advice of a good pharmacist regarding all the medications you are taking, some of which have high blood pressure listed as a side effect.  A pharmacist will run through the list and advise you whether either one of your medications or a combination of some might be a contributory factor in your hypertension and headaches. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.