Hypertension in Younger Individual

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. I'm looking for information on how to manage hypertension in an otherwise healthy individual. The person is 6'3'' and about 100kg. They are athletic with an intensive workout regime with high endurance. For example, this person can run 5k in under 24 minutes as a warm up and continue on with 1 - 2 more hours of strenous exercise to include weight training. This is done 5 - 6 days per week. 

Their blood pressure constantly reads at ~160/80 mm/Hg. Sometimes even spiking higher in the 170-180 range, although the diastolic never goes above 90. 

Also the individual is 31 years old and their mother was Type 1 Diabetic with congential heart disease which came from her fathers side. All other family members are without heart issues and all grandparents aside from the Mothers father lived past 85 and/or are still alive. 

Their diet may be too high in sodium, however I've been reading this is less of a concern than it use to be. They do drink quite heavily on the weekends. As in 8+ drinks on a Friday and/or Saturday night. However there is no alochol consumption during the week.

Has anyone here seen similar situaitons? Maybe this could be due to stress or need for a higher dose of a specific nuterients? Any experience or suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks. 

PS I have googled this subject and I get non-stop lists of the typical suggestions talking about eating right, losing weight, exercise regularly, ect ect. However this is clearly an atypical situation. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Erick,

FYI...this noninvasive transdermal CO2 therapy referred to by Connie has now reached my town! A local physician is offering trials of this and charting blood oxygenation levels that are off the charts to encourage patients who are recovering from work outs and want to give their microcirculation a boost (which has all the peripheral benefit)...pretty cool

• Posted

To begin with those are not particularly high readings, and he is not that young, my father was diagnosed with hypertension when he enlisted in the Navy at 17.  It remained high for most of his life til he died of a massive heart attack at 62.  Diet can have quite a deliterious impact on heart health, as can binge drinking.  As you may know only the first alchoholic beverage lowers bp, but after the first drink from there it continues to elevate, and it can go quite high.  If he can run a 5k in under 24 minutes, he's a pretty toned gent.  What is the nature of his mother's congenital

heart disease?  Actually sodium can have quite an impact if you happen to be a salt

sensitive individual.  I was salt sensitive my whole life, and my blood sodium levels run high even though I'm on a restricted sodium diet because of heart failure.  I have had hypertension since my late twenties, but I'm thankful I didn't have it at 17.

He seriously needs to cut back on the alcohol though, even if it is only on the weekends, that's an excessive amount, and like I said bp only comes down with the first drink, after that it continues to climb.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.