Hypertension investigations, better late than never.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been attending a hypertension referral centre after having had hypertension for fourteen years. This is from the letter of my second consultation in September.

“ His blood pressure at the clinic today was 187/82. He has very labile hypertension but I wonder the reality if it is his blood pressure tends to be low but very reactive rather than predominately high certainly he seems to have had side effects on a number of antihypertensives raising the question as to whether he was in fact being over treated. To avoid complicating things we are leaving his medication as it is although if he gets symptomatic hypertension it would probably be worth reducing his losartan (from 100mg to 50mg) 

We will arrange the MR scan and I look forward to hearing the results of his 24 hour ambulatory BP monitor. 

Going into his past in a little more detail it sounds as if he hasn’t had a lot in the way of investigations for his hypertension and I am going to arrange an MR scan to address his aneurysm but more importantly whether his renal arteries are involved in it (which might not be apparent from the surveillance ultrasounds he gets) and also to clarify a little more about his liver cysts and in particular the extent to which his kidneys may be involved” 

MR scan is on Friday but my next clinic appointment is not until mid January.

Over the past ten days my average BP reading has been higher at 157/78 compared to 147/78 in the previous two months.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How did the scan go alright I hope
    • Posted

Well it happened. Now I have the long wait for my next appointment.

I asked the radiographer for a look at the scan but he played it by the book.

• Posted

Yes they always do play it by the book, usually have results within 2 or 3 days are they not even sending your gp a copy of  the results, I suppose it depends on who refers you for the scan  originally... good luck with it...

• Posted

I usually get  a look at ultrasound scans but not others.

I really don't expect to hear until I see him. I had to E-Mail his PA as neither my GP or I got  the letter on my first appointment with him and he wanted my GP to arrange some other tests locally to save me travelling.

Did not get letter from the second appointment despite E-Mailing for one. This time my GP had got his and gave me a copy. 

• Posted

The administration in hospitals is bad these days lets hope they get it sorted, after your long wait, no good getting anxious we all know what happens when get over anxious... say no more....
    • Posted

I am resigned to it.

We have had a lot of doctors letters not getting to the hospital and their letters not getting to him or us.

I was waiting for heart valve replacement and had not heard from hospital I had been referred to by my local hospital. I phoned and they had not had my referral after five weeks. I phoned local hospital to be told that Doctor X was a little bit behind with his paperwork. I found when still nothing the next week that he was on a months holiday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.