Hypertension Medications and Side Effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on HT (BP 150/90) medication from last five Years , started Enalapri, which Stopped due to severe cough then now on Amlodipine Plus Olmesartran , with this combination I stopped Olmesartran due to bronchits , now only on amlodipine, now amlodipine also causing severe constipiation and edema. Beta blockers also causing Brochits .

Any alternative, suggestion 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HI Htn

I am taking candersarten at 32mg because 16mg was not doing anything after coming off amlodipine. My BP has been has high as 180/110. I do not see how the olmersartan can cause brochitis or constipation. To get your gut and diet going suggest coleslaw, raw carrot, fruit etc, you will also find your weight drops and this helps the BP. I experienced a sudden drop to more normal BP after taking one garlic tablet per day and the above diet. The tablets are cheap at Aldi for instance.  

best wishes

best wishes

• Posted

It is confirmed that Olmesartran had been causing brochitis. I have been on amlodipine 5mg +nOlmesartran 20 Mg, When I  got infected with cold ,it turned to acute brochitis ,remains for four months. Doctors adviced  many steroid inhalers and allergic medications, still I could not find anything better . Then I stopped olmesartran for one week and found wheezing troubles and brochits went away. 

Thanks for suggestions regarding raw carrots and garlic. I shall try ,. Now  I am on only amlodipine 5mg daily however suffering from stomach upset and constipation.

Thanks with regards

• Posted

Amlodipine nearly killed me, causing severe arhythmia resulting in a faint and for an hour thereafter, near collapse. I stopped taking it and was much better three weeks later but it was a couple of months before I returned to normal. However, hypertension returned.  I am now taking another calcium blocker, Lercanidipine 20mg.  but am also doing deep breathing exercises. I find that a BP reading on waking produces typically (and this morning) 168/90 but ten minutes later after to or so slow, deep breaths (to the limit of lung capacity) and total expulsions, the next reading is typically (and this morning) 120/72. I have no reason to ascribe this success (if it is success) to the drug or the breathing. So I do both. It is of concern, however, that, although I can produce low readings well within safe limits, I can also produce high - as high as 230/110. So I may be winning partially but it is the high pressure that kills you.
    • Posted

I have been on amlodipine. As Calcium Channel blockers has a relaxing effect on blood vessels , when you do deep breath or after jogging  blood vessels get relaxed and BP drops. However in early morning or after a long bed rest I too found BP remains high. 
  • Posted

Hi Htn,

You should not be on Beta Blockers if you have asthma or chest complaint. My GP took me off Beta Blockers for that very reason. I was also taken off Amlodipine due to swelling of ankles and feet. I would deffinately ask GP to take you off A,nasty drug. I have been taking Losarton Potassium for 6 months now with no problems. Try grapeseed extract to lower BP. It does work. Go back to your GP though and get off the dreaded A.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.