Hypertension Problem

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm fairly young (35) and was recently diagnosed with severe hypertension. I had not gotten my blood pressure tested in about 5 years, but when I went to the doctor for a routine checkup 9 months ago they found my blood pressure to be 194/124!

The following months of blood tests, CT's, MRIs, and EKGs found nothing. I am in decent shape, my BMI is 25, the only thing I can think of that caused this was a terrible diet (nothing but meats and cheeses) and I may have developed sleep apnea since my wife tells me sometimes I snore pretty loud. This was dismissed by my doctor with no tests. I was obviously put on a high does of bp medications (almodipine/valsartan). 

I am now on a pretty strict diet, I workout 5 times a week and have lost 15 pounds, my BP is somewhat normal it ranges from 105-125/75-85, (when I let go and eat everything in sight it does spike) but being so young I would like to at least cut down the dosage of my medication. This has been a very stressful time, I have not been able to be the happy person I once was, go out to dinner with friends, have a couple drinks because of the anxiety I have that it will increase my bp. If anyone has suggestions on what else I can do I'd love to hear. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello AJ!

I'm sorry to hear that, I understand what you're saying, unfortunately high blood pressure is not only an old people problem, I was diagnosed with HBP when I was only 18 years old, (29 now) since then I've been on and of medications but you'll learn to live with it if you keep it under control it won't be a problem and you can have a normal life.

• Posted

Oh mate - I hear you! I had a similar experience last year, went to the docs feeling a bit unwell, had a wellman check up which came back ok apart from BP of 185/110.  Amlodipine given to me right away.  At the time I was 16st 10, and dropped to 14st, and my BP levelled out to normal.  So what did I do? I just let the diet go to pot.  Put a stone and a half back on, and then got my headaches back.  Doctor then doubled the meds amlodipine plus losartan.  Where there weren't side effects before, came the side effects.  Chest pain, moodiness the main two.  Had kidney ultrasound, followed by heart ultrasound, both of which came back fine.  I'm 45, and now at 15st 8, although I should be 13st, but am determined to drop the dosage of my medication.  I'm very sporty, and active, but I guess my diet was not the best.  I find that exercise really helps the BP, so yesterday my reading was 136/90, which in my view is the high side of normal, but after going for a run (and waiting an hour) my BP dropped to 116/80 where it stayed for the rest of the day.  I'm now making a conscious effort to ditch white carbs, and to ditch beer for a few weeks.  My GP isn't the most supportive chap, I get better advice from my pharmacist, and it's about what I can do, rather than having to take a combination of meds for the foreseeable.  The amlodipine on it's own was ok, the combo with losartan gives me the side effects... 

• Posted

Hi there

Learn to love yourself, cherish everyday, take pleasure in the small things in life like walking in the sunshine, try not to stress, you have an amazing chance to turn life around and you are succeeeding, you can still enjoy eating out, just make healthy choices. Stress can make blood pressure higher so find ways to relax.

Very best wishes for the future.

• Posted

Those are very good BP readings now.  Have you tried cutting back the meds?

Better diet, weight loss, many people do that and drop the meds.

Keep control of the diet, keep doing the exercise, and you should be good for another thirty years with no meds, maybe longer.  Congrats on catching the problem before it caught you!

• Posted

Hi

I’ve had issues with my Bp, but your reading of 194/124 is rather scary to say the least. Think the highest mines was would have been 165/110, but normally it would be around 150/98. I did take Bp meds for a couple of weeks, but I was nearly crippled with leg and feet pain, which disappeared once I stopped them. I found that my Bp dropped significantly when I went on a plant based diet, my diastolic reading went from 95 to 75 in 2 weeks. I believe we all benefit from eating health foods, it’s just so hard at times and really difficult to maintain a healthy diet. 😕

• Posted

Gillian 68 is on the right track.  Cholesterol and BP are linked.  If you have high on one, the other is likely high.  If you can go vegetarian every other day, it will give your body a chance to clean house and recover.  There are also nutrients in vegetables that regulate proper digestion and metabolism of fats and sugars.  Eat a large organic salad every day.  Juicing of vegetables will also help.  When you go out with friends, drink a small glass of red wine rather than the beers.  Also, fasting for 3 hours between meals helps alot. 

Snoring is a RED flag.  It can lead to diabetes, high BP and an early death.  Elevate the head of your bed 8 inches.  Try a mild nasal spray.  Download a sleep app and monitor your sleep.  It will change your life.  Don't give up.  Take some time out to just sit outside and relax.  John

• Posted

aj49141...having high bp at your age really is not all that uncommon these days. Foods we eat, stress, anxiety, etc. all work against our bodies. You lost weight, the bp readings went down, then you gained the weight back, but you also got higher readings again.

Do not stop seeing friends, or going out to dinner the odd time. You must live your life. Having a couple of drinks won't hurt either..but just a couple, & not every day. Be mindful of the time of day you take your bp meds. My Dr. once told me that it's ok if I have a beer or two when out to dinner, but not to overly do it. If you do go out for dinner, order something not too full of fat, but if you can't avoid that...go ahead anyway...just get back on track the next day. Anxiety, as I've already mentioned is a big enemy. Don't stress about what you've eaten...In other words, don't cry over spilt milk. Enjoy what you have had, then get right back on eating healthy. Do not eat everything in site as you stated.Do not let yourself become a prisoner to the meds because this is what you're doing. If everyone who is on bp meds stopped "living"., we'd be a downright miserable lot, wouldn't we.

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I will continue to work on my diet and change my attitude about this. Hopefully with these changes I can reduce the dosage of medication. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.