Hypertension tablets not lowering readings

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on different types of medication for high blood pressure for many years. After changing to ARBs from ace inhibiters at age 57, I am now continuing to have readings of 158/98 and higher. Recently added betablockers to medication but no difference. I exercise and am moderately overweight. Anyone else frustrated by lack of improvement with bloodpressure?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Have you not been offered a diuretic. They used to be the first medication offered.
    • Posted

I have been prescribed lisinopril and this was fine apart from frequent loo visits in the night. Then given indapamide. Doctor decides bottom reading of 95 need to be lower so antenolol instead. Feel dizzy and light headed on it and it hasn't lowered. Readings show 100 and just above now.

• Posted

I take three BP tablets. Carvedilol for a special type of BP, that is not for your type of BP. I also take a diuretic, but again, as you have said, it makes you go to the toilet, which is its main function and it is only as a secondary use that it happens to lower BP.

The calcium channnels blockers are the main medication I take for high BP. I take these, as nearly three years ago I had a brain haemorrhage (bleed on the brain) partly due to uncontrolled high BP. Obviously this situation must not happen again, because I was lucky to recover from it the first time.

I find they work very well. In my younger days I did take antenolol, but they have been over taken by newer medications. Amlodipine is usually the first CCB they hand out, but this can have quite severe side effects - there is a separate forum here, just for that medication alone. After about 18 months I started to have side effects and switched to felodipine, which is very similar, but with less/no side effects.

• Posted

Thank you. I am seeing the doctor again on Wed so I will ask her about the suggestions.
  • Posted

The human body will eventually adapt itself to drug intervention to achieve natural stability.

At 158/98 your mean arterial pressure would be estimated as

(158 + 2x98)/3 = 118 mmHg. (Normally reckoned average =120 mmHg)

​A normal heart would beat at aroung 118/2 = 59 beats per minute at these pressures.

Looks OK to me.

• Posted

" The human body will eventually adapt itself to drug intervention to achieve natural stability "

I wish that were true :-)

• Posted

"The human body will eventually adapt itself to drug intervention to achieve natural stability."

I take eight a day (drugs) for three years, my body still complains.

• Posted

As many others do.

Bob may reveal the source of his statement.

• Posted

Sorry, I was wrong - I should have said:

"The human body will eventually try to adapt itself to drug intervention to achieve natural stability."

?Unfortunately in my experience, after two aborted attempts by my GP to control my blood pressure with drugs, I refused to cooperate.

?I got two and half years of drug free freedom until I discovered when using a hand held heart monitor that I had a QT value outside the normal range. People with a long QT interval are susceptible to many drugs which will induce serious arrythmias to which I eventually succumbed and ended up in A&E.

?

• Posted

That is much like me.

When I went to the hypertension referral centre the consultant wondered if I was not truly hypertensive but had peaks and that made me more susceptible to medications. At that time I was taking 240mg verapamil and 100mg of Losartan.

Verapamil was stopped as it was reducing my heart rate too much. Losartan has gradually been reduced to 25mg taken only on days that my BP is high. Last month I only took it four times. That is much like me.

When I went to the hypertension referral centre the consultant wondered if I was not truly hypertensive but had peaks and that made me more susceptible to medications. At that time I was taking 240mg verapamil and 100mg of Losartan.

Verapamil was stopped as it was reducing my heart rate too much. Losartan has gradually been reduced to 25mg taken only on days that my BP is high. Last month I only took it four times.

• Posted

Sorry for the echo!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.