Hyperthyoidism TED and double vision

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have hyperthyroidism which was finally identified and medicated  (carbimazole) in June 2017.  Although initial tests for TED were negative I have since developed double vision but fortunately no bulging eyes.  A prism on the left lens of my glasses has certainly helped but some days I still feel wobbly when walking, have stomach/digestive problems and feel as though I have just had a bad dose of influenza. Has anyone else experienced this?  My endocrinologist states emphatically that these additional symptoms are not caused by hyperthyroidism.  I am now on a block and replace regime (40mg carbimazole and 50 mcg throxine daily).

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    Well Rosemary you can tell your Endocrinologist .. he’s Wrong !

    Apart from many many other symptoms of HYPERthyroidism .. Graves Disease  ... I was very wobbly indeed .. my muscles aches and so did my joints .

    My eyes were very itchy and had what I’d call ticks .. my vision was very odd at night watching tv or reading my sight was blurred but no signs of GED .

    Endos may be good at reading numbers and seeing if TSH Is high  but I could teach a cat to do that !

    That’s why you need to Google All there is about Hyperthyroidism that you can .. and ask all the questions you like on here ..

    I’m nit a fan of block and replace .. find out about it by googling 

    I chose to take Carbimazole to lower my thyroid hormone and slowly tapered off at 5mg per day 

    It only took  a few months to feel better ..  not perfect ...but much better

    Then after that 

    Supplement like anything to keep me that way ..

    It can work very well !!

    Luv mx🌹

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi Madge,


      Thank you for your reply.  I felt sure that the symptoms that I described were as a result of the hyperthyroidism but I was told to go and visit my GP and take advice from him.  Lots happier now!  Just have to get through this block and replace regime which by all accounts can take some time. And I'll visit Dr Google and find out lots more on the condition!

      Thanks again.

      Rosie  x


      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I would be good if you were under the care of an Ophthalmologist.  I had a good one and she helped with the dry eyes by inserting tear duct blockers.  She also gave me the names of ocular specialists who specialize in treating Graves eye disease in case I needed one.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi Linda

      Apparently I am awaiting two appointments for the eye clinic.  When I developed double vision I rang the clinic, got an immediate appointment and saw an orthoptist who attached the prism to my glasses and this has definitely helped.  Now I am awaiting an appointment to see an eye consultant and someone who I believe is called a field vision expert - but i could have got this wrong!  



      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up