Hyperthyroid after partial thyroidectomy?

Posted , 2 users are following.

About 10 years ago I had a partial thyroidectomy due to goiters. I still have some small goiters on the other side which are monitered and at this time that side doesn't need to be removed.  My Dr. said that I am slightly hyperthyroid, and have been for several years.  However, my levels are apparently acceptable, but just on the high end of the acceptable range.  I recently my Dr. about some symptoms I've had which i never thought might be related (bad PMS, very long & heavy periods, very emotional, etc).  She offered to put me on a very low dose of antithyroid medication to see if it helps. Is this worth starting medication and how can I possibly be HYPERthyoid after a partial thyroidectomy.  I am 32 years old.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You need to get a copy of the actual thyroid tests that were done on you and post your results along with the ranges for normal (in brackets beside your results) to this Board if you want to get a good answer.  You could possibly have an autoimmune thyroid condition like Graves or Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  You would have to get your antibodies checked to confirm this.  The goiters remaining could be causing your hyperthyroidism.  

• Posted

I posted them below. I don't know what they mean cause I actually thought it looks normal. Thanks!

• Posted

Ok so here are my results from this year.  I don't understand how to interpret them at all, but hopefully they will help.

TEST                           MY RANGE                          STANDARD RANGE

Free T4                         1.33 ng/dL                            0.93 - 1.70 ng/dL

TSH                               0.44 uIU/mL                         0.27 - 4.20 uIU/mL

T3, Free                        3.2 pg/mL                             2.3 - 4.2 pg/mL

• Posted

Your results are all within the normal range, although your TSH is considered high in other centres but is within range in your centre.  I would think you might benefit from getting your Cortisol level checked as well.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.