Hyperthyroid and hoarse voice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.I've been hyperthyroid for three years and am on 20 carbimazole and 160 slow release propranolol.I am very interested to hear from anyone who suffers from hoarse voice when talking for a while and what you have done to alleviate it.Best wishes Nonita

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Interesting post... I just had a thyroidectomy four weeks ago and my voice is quite hoarse post surgery. I'm slowly regaining the strength and quality now. However, before my surgery I was on methimazole 15 mg daily and my voice was somewhat hoarse. I attributed it to the fact that I work as a teacher and lecture all day long.

• Posted

I hope you are recovering well from the op.Were you offered the surgery because the tablets didn't work?Were you offered RAI which I have refused.I am wondering if the thyroid is pressing on the vocal chords causing the hoarseness.Maybe that was your problem all along in which case the thyroidectomy should eventually solve the problem.I would prefer to opt for the surgery.Was it a very difficult process.Thank you for replying .Best wishes for the future.Nonita

• Posted

I couldn't do RAI because I also have thyroid eye disease and research shows that RAI worsens thyroid eye disease because it doesn't kill the thyroid right away, so in the interim you have a surge of thyroid hormone which can worse the eyes. Hence, my decision to have surgery. Recovery wasn't a walk in the park for me, but everyone is different. My co-worker had a thyroidectomy and it was a breeze for her.

• Posted

Hoarse voice is one of the many symptoms of hyperthyroidism/GD. Before and after I was diagnosed with GD, I had a hard time with my voice becoming hoarse. It mostly comes from the inflamed/enlarged over-active thyroid. Taking anti-thyroid med alone seems not be able to lessen the symptom. From my experience, other than low dose MMI I also took supplements, herbs and followed autoimmune diet protocol... My hoarse voice is mostly gone now and my latest ultrasound scan showed "shrinking enlarged thyroid and significant decrease in the size of the nodule in question". I believe there ARE remedies for the hoarse sound or GD at all besides the anti-thyroid med, RAI, or surgery which can't cure the cause/root of GD -- autoimmune disorder. Giving time and effort with hope, we can all learn more and better to improve our health. Let us know how your voice has improved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.