hyperthyroid linked to psych

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had met w/ thyroid consultant in hospital who suggested that regular elevated t3 is hematological depression. I thought that to be kinda bizarre, then i googled the phenomenon.neutral

Seems like a substaintial amount of research has been done to illustrate the connection and increased risks of somatic instability. Comments anyone?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Geez this is a hard quesiton!

My poor little two cents worth, to get the ball rolling is that:   In order to produce T3 from T4 you need Ferritin and to make Ferritin you need a lot of iron in your blood serum. Therefore...... If you are overproducing T3 it stands to logical sense that you will be depleteing  your heme iron and therefore hematological depression.

The possibility of somatic instability needs a little more thought on my part - but excellent question.

• Posted

Taking the definition of "Soma" to be "something that works with the mind and the body", my comment as to how this relates to T3 concerns primarily the blood brain barrier (bbb).

Some say that T3 does not cross the bbb while it is T4 which is readily absorbed by the extremities of the astrocytes and then moves on to being converted to T3 inside the brain. Now, this flies in the face of the fact that many psychiatric disorders have been helped with a large dose of T3. I realise that some T3 gets absorbed BETWEEN the extremities of the astrocytes but this goes beyond anything I have studied.

Since T3 is essential to supplying energy to all cells, my answer to the second part of your post would be to say that if any surfeit of energy is occuring in the brain (due to overload of T3) it would not be surprising if some instability occured throughout the body if such chemically overreacting continued for a long duration of time.

Your question is very deep and it pushes up against the limits of current research, I hope my little logical train of thought combined with a little knowledge is of some help.

• Posted

wowzer i thought the problem started psychological, basically thinking someone would claim symptoms of depression to be the origin of unhealthiness. suprisingly you seem to cite possible dietary/anatomical source of hyperthyroidism illustrating phenomenal conceptualization of biochemistry i might add, thnx  wink
  • Posted

Thank you! And, well, it could all start with psychology. If you are  terribly depressed then you have put yourself in a state of stress. When you are under stress your adrenals kick in to cope with the stress (that’s their job), they do this by producing cortisol. When corisol is in excess  thyroid hormones will run low (cortisol and Thyroid hormones work in opposition). It is not a good idea to spend too much time with the adrenals carrying the load for the thyroid.  This state will result in the thyroid hormones getting “out of whack” and causing anomalies such as the ones we are discussing here.
  • Posted

I know you posted this 2 months ago but could this be the reason i have been feeling really depressed? My blood work came back showing i am anemic and thyroid is off. I was only precribe iron pills and took another blood work to check my anemia and thyroid. I have my check up tomorrow so ill get to find put whats going on with my thyroid and anemia because i have been feeling depressed and just want to run away and cry . Smh worst feeling ever!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.