Hyperthyroidism???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I'm new here. I was tested today for hyperthyroidism. I have to say I'm praying it's the reason for my symptoms. Otherwise, I'm thinking I might only have about a year left. I have kind of a long story, but I'll try and shorten it. When I was about 30, I had a cyst on my thyroid. They Did the radioactive pill thing and scan. I was given meds to shut my thyroid down. After about a month or so, cyst was gone so I just quit taking the meds. I ran into the receptionists months later and she asked why I hadn't been in. I told her the cyst was gone and I felt fine. She told me i was suppose to take the meds for life. Fast forward some years. I developed bone tumors in my right foot. While getting treatment, I started having weird symptoms. Heat intolerance and weightloss. For a few years, docs have tried to connect the bone tumors with my weightloss. Last spring I found I have PA(Pernious anemia, b12 deficency) I take weekly b12 shots. I was hoping this was my problem because of the slew of symptoms. After going a year, some symptoms have subsided, but some still there which is normal I guess. Anyway, over a few years, I have gone from 130 pounds to now 94. I have nightsweats, all day sweats, pounding heart, dry skin, itcy and blurry eyes, anxiety and now getting weak and don't feel like doing anything. I'm scared because if this isn't thyroid, I'm worried they won't find the cause before my body completely fails. Any help would be greatly appriciated

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi lori, see what your latest test is showing. You could ask your doctor for a copy of your medical records. The information regarding the medical history of your thyroid problems is rather vague. Where you given a radioactive iodine contrast agent, Iodine-123 and had a scan? Or did you have a thyroid ablation with Iodine-131? What medication were you supposed to take for life? Did you have a subsequent scan showing that your cyst had shrunk? Where you discharged from the doctors care with some recommendations?
  • Posted

hi Lori 

I also suffer from the symptoms you described. Most of them have started to fade as long as I take my supplements on a regular basis, all except the heart palpitations which I am religiously looking for answers.Maybe someone on here can help. 

Don't give up hope! It taste like cramp, but I take blackstrap molasses for anemia and you can get b12 from  food source in addition to the shots. I have sore it will help you tremendously.

I also go for accupuncture treatments, (yes the one with the needles) which has helped me also.

Get in a great support group, and you will make  it!

• Posted

Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which your thyroid gland produces too much of the hormone thyroxine. Hyperthyroidism can accelerate your body's metabolism significantly, causing sudden weight loss, a rapid or irregular heartbeat, sweating, and nervousness or irritability.

• Posted

Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which an overactive thyroid gland is producing an excessive amount of thyroid hormones that circulate in the blood. A variety of conditions can cause hyperthyroidism. Graves' disease, an autoimmune disorder, is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism. It causes antibodies to stimulate the thyroid to secrete too much hormone. Graves’ disease occurs more often in women than in men.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.