Hyperthyroidism and depression

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism now I'm super depressed and feel helpless anyone else understand please

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well it is a depressing disease to have indeed. I wish I could say it's not that bad and it will be fine. Well that is going to be what I believe a life time battle, with yourself, with health professionals, with your friends and family who don't understand what you are going through. I was a gymnast from 3 yrs-15 yrs. Always loved physical activities, very fit, full of life. Then all the sudden at 25 I had hypothyroidism. I gained weight, no energy, brain fog, I was unrecognizable to myself. It has been a horrible 15 years of no help, no answers, no guidance. Finally I decided to start running, I ran the Chicago marathon 2 years ago. All the while acquiring injuries and not feeling as a athlete should in my mind. By pure accident I stumbled onto Jessie Hilgenberg program. I signed up and was excited to start this awesome weight lifting program. But wait...by calculations I was to eat 1700 calories a day? This is crazy! I will for sure gain weight! I have been eatimg 1100 cal/day for years and I am over weight now! I thought I would try it...and I started losing weight and inches. Unknowingly I had been starving my body for years. My hypothyroidism only made this worse. The long cardio hours and short calorie intake only slowed my metabolism and made me more fat! I have had all of my symptoms disappear! No more exhaustion, brain fog, joint pain, did I mention the exhaustion being gone? I feel normal for the 1st time in 15 years, no thanks to the doctors who ignored symptoms. They act like your crazy, only saying well your labs look good. Well I felt like s**t! And no one would listen! I figured out you have to ve your own advocate! Learn what your body likes amd dislikes! Educate yourself, that is the only way to get better! Lots of love and prayers, Lisa

• Posted

I have hypothyroidism and I am always feeling depressed. I cannot really explain it-like even now feel like I just wanna cry. 
    • Posted

You are not alone I feel EXACTLY the same way. I suffer from hyperthyroidism and I am sooooo depressed. I feel like my diagnosis came out of nowhere. Do you know what triggered your diagnosis. Anything you wish to express we're here. I've found this community to be very helpful. Lots of ??

• Posted

I too was just told I am Hyper now after being hypo for almost 20 years. It makes no sense. I was on levothyroxine all these years and in June everything flipped out of nowhere. I started having heart palpitations, sweating uncontrollably, heat intolerance, severe depression, anxiety, and panic. Just know you are not alone. I to am feeling depressed and worried. I am not able to see a Endo until the end of January! Meanwhile I have been off of Levothyroxine for about 4 1/2 wks, the Hyper symptoms have calmed down a bit but my heart is still acting weird. Did anyone have any vitamin deficiencies as well or anemia? Also, I wonder if hormones play a role in thyroid levels? Sorry to go on, I am just as lost and confused
    • Posted

I too believe I was hypo but was left untreated because of not educated enough on symptoms. Started exercising then stopped but was continuously loosing weight. Then boom same symptoms went to ER and diagnosed 9/2017. Went into deep depression lost more weight than expected because of symptoms and not eating   Nightmare. I went dr states vitamin d was low so I got a vitamin d pill plant based from my local pharmacy. Dr prescribed a vitamin d pill but I opted not to take it already enough chemically manufacturer pills in my system 😆  No more needed. I also went to a pharmacy called lotel bought a couple supplements strictly organic to help with symptoms like lemon balm force by new chapter helps well with anxiety trust meeeeee 😀😀😀 a little pricey but extremely helpful. Also sleep thru by Gaia helps with insomnia haven't tried it yet but fingers crossed 🤞 tonight I will and let u know in the am. Along with chamomile tea. Listen hun you're not alone. All advice is helpful and all questions are needed. Best wishes ?? 

• Posted

Hi dear 

I guess my last post is still being evaluated so just to recap. I have been struggling with deep depression. I’ve been unable to sleep. I bought some lemon balm liquid and pills. That plus chamomile tea. Gn 😴. It’s not an easy disease but with the right meds I feel we can tackle this thing. I read You said that it just came out of nowhere… What exactly do you mean? That’s how I felt one week I was fine or appear to be in the next week I’m in the ER for heart Palpitations sweating.  Very very scary thing. They said that my TSH levels were so low they were barely detectable my T4 and T3 of course were elevated. Prior to being diagnosed I noticed that I was losing weight with eating or no exercising as it was slowly losing weight. Then one night thyroids went out of control. Anybody knows what triggers thyroid. I heard if it’s thyrioditid it’s an infection either viral or bacterial. Any truth.  Also my ultrasound reflected multinodular groiter following up to see an endocrinologist. 

• Posted

Hi Niki, Exact same thing happened to me, 100 mg Levothyroxin for 20 years - mostly OK, last April I discovered I was hyper at TSH 0.20 ml/UL (instead of the 0.96 six months earlier)  I was told to stop medication for 5 days and start again on 50 mg. After one month all was within range, but after 3 months it was 6.4, so now I am on 75 mg for a month.  I'd like to know what causes such changes, menopause?  New stressful job?  Or newly diagnosed elevated blood pressure? Now taking 2.5 mg Coversyl (Perindopril)

• Posted

I went to the doctor and took some blood tests and they called me in and explained that my thyroid levels were low and that I would need to take levythyroxine. They initially put me on 50MG and then 75MG but i take 100mg- I don't think 75mg is working for me. I need to take another blood test anyhow to see what my levels are like. Thanks Nikki. x

• Posted

I don't know how this was triggered? That would be interesting to know. Im alway feeling depressed. I will be alright one moment and the next I am not. I can't think. it has gotten much worst with the passing of my mother and my cousin. Sometimes its not even about then, just feel so low.

• Posted

Does anyone know if untreated Hypothryoidism can later turn into hyperthyroidism any feedback is appreciated 
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I was reading about all you guys have said, I am a Colombian girl and I got

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.