Hyperthyroidism and Losing Weight

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm sure this has been asked before but I am a person recently diagnosed with Graves disease brought on by Hyperthyroidism. My question is not so much about losing weight as a symptom of the disease but more so about how to do it.

I'm about 3 months into my treatment using methimazole and toprol xl. My blood tests show I may need a higher dosage but we are kind of in the wait and see how things go phase. Prior to my diagnosis I was at a healthy weight that I was holding down pretty well. Now that I'm on medication I've noticed a steady increase in my weight ever since then. It's only 15 pounds but from what I've read it may increase as my hormone levels calm down a bit.

So for those who've succesfully lost and or maintained their weight while coming down from hyperthyroidism, I ask for advive with exercises and diet that worked for you. I don't eat terribly and do get some exercise in everyday but goodness gracious I'm tired of gaining weight! Please help in any way you can.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My reply is not so much on what eat but on your meds. When I was diagnosed I was about 135 lbs from 200 lbs my normal weight. I am also 6'1 so I am really thin right now. I was diagnosed in May of this year.

I was started off with methimazole 2 10 mg and Athenol 10 mg for my heart rate. I also take warfarin. Methimazole counters wayfarin, I cannot do without either so warfarin amount needs to be played around with. My methimazole needed to be changed due to I was becoming more hypo, so this dropped to 10 mg, over the course of a week I lost 14 lbs. Called my doctor and they said to increas by 5 mg or 1/2 a pill per day, for this I know have a pill cutter use both pills I have to adjust.

Pretty much what I am trying to say is keep eating like you normally due. In time they will figure out how much you will need to take. Currently I am 150 lbs and I am no shorter so still really skinny, so if you are gaining I am jealous wink

• Posted

Would you like to switch?! All the sites I read basically say the same thing. I'm short so I don't wear the weight very well. I work in a gym so gaining weight never looks like a good thing!

• Posted

I did not want my reply to come back as negative. Graves Disease is very serious. I had it for 6 months or so before I was diagnosed. It takes time, from what I have been told it can take 6-8 months before I will be at a normal weight again. You need to be patient stay in contact with your doctor's.

• Posted

I understand, thank you. I will try to be patient. This diagnosis came all of the sudden so I'm feeling a little impatient to get back to normal. 

• Posted

I was the same way, I was going on job interviews in a suit that looked like I was shopping at the goodwill store, and that suit used to fit me perfectly.

Take it one day at a time, talk to your Dr. About your medication, voice your concerns about your weight gain. Redo your blood tests. It is best to speak to a nutritionist about diet. I have been told to eat well balanced meals which is pretty much the opposite of what I do.

• Posted

Hi Steven.  I'm curios about the timeframe when you lost all that weight before diagnosis. I lost a similiar about of weight between Feb - July of this week  My endo couldn't believe it.    I'm glad you're putting a little back on

• Posted

Mine was about the same. I started seeing problems with sleep disorders around December last year, in January I noticed my clothes were no longer fitting me correctly, February, bowel movements were starting to change color by March they were mainly green, at this point diareha started, plus little to no appetite and if I did eat I filled up with with very little to eat. April was when I had most of my weight loss diareha increased to 7-8 times per day.

End of April I think is when I think I was at my worst, near collapse in my sister's kitchen my forced me to go get checked. At the hospital not knowing I had Graves they did a CT Scan with contrast, keep in mind contrast is iodine so they are feeding my thyroid, next day lower CT Scan with contrast so just more fuel, then bloodwork is what showed thyroid issues. I got a call to come back and be admitted, I was there for 4 days. Since being on methimazole this has helped just need to get the side right.

• Posted

Thanks Steven.  We defnately have similiar symptoms except Idon't have the diarrhea.  I had 3 CT scans with contrast in Aprl/May.  I refused contract at the end of July.  I don't have Graves, I have an overactive nodule.  It's funny how you go to the hospital and they run comprehensive blood tests that come back good.  Then by accident someone thinks out of the box and runs Thyroid tests!!! It's amazing.

I'm glad you're being looked after now  hopefully lots will turn around soon.  How is your sleeping now?  I'm lucky if i get 1-2 hours a night.

• Posted

I have hypothyroid, also a very bad case of Thyrotoxicosis, and Graves Disease.

yes, Graves is very serious and dangerous. It's much easier to treat hypo than hyper symptoms.

my Illness hasn't responded to meds, I'm so ill. Initially I lost over 3 stones in weight, as soon as I was out on thyroid meds I have slowly gained about 25  pounds , but it stays there generally.

im 

im having surgery next week( it was postponed last week!) I'm very worried as I'd have preferred medical control.

thye symptoms you feel are normal. Simply , if you eat more your meds seem to translate it into a trigger to store it as fat. So you have to be careful.

im miserable and feel rotten . Some people try supplements as a form of control?

You must accept you are ill, and do your best with meds to get better , all the best xx

• Posted

Hi, beta-blockers like toprol may sometimes cause water retention. Make sure that your weight increase is not linked to this side effect. You could do a pinch test to check if the amount of subcutaneous fat has increased. 

Btw, one of the side effects of toprol xl is weight gain. 

While being hyperthyroid your metabolism is running at a higher rate so it is not the best idea to reduce your overall food intake. Instead, you could try to reduce your daily intake of carbohydrates and increase the amount of proteins. This has the added benefit of preventing the loss of muscle mass while being hyperthyroid. The other thing I would advise is to greatly increase your intake of vegetables. It will boost your intake of minerals and vitamins. Focus on cruciferous vegetables that have the added benefit of reducing the thyroid output. (For more information search the net for goitrogenic food.)

While being hyperthyroid you should refrain from prolonged aerobic exercise. This will only increase your heart rate and after all you are taking medicine to keep the heart rate down. Rather opt for gentle exercise and stretches. 

• Posted

I have Graves I'm in the UK and I put on about 20 lbs.  I did block and replacement, 30mg Carbimzole and 100mg Thyroxine for over a year, now off all medication to see which way my thyroid is behaving. I noticed weight loss as soon as I came off medication.  

• Posted

I was 60 when I was diagnosed and I was diagnosed fairly early before my labs got too far out of range, so did not therefore have a problem with weight loss.  (Unfortunately as I could have benefitted from some weight loss at that time).  However, what I wanted for myself was to get into remission and for me to get there, I had to learn about supplements.  I got tested for just about everything i have added in the way of supplements, i.e. tested for Free and Total carnitine levels, tested for vitamin D levels and tested for Magnesium levels and all were low or deficient.  So I added these back along with my medication treatment and once i did so, my doc was quickly able to lower my meds dosages.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.