Hyperthyroidism and weight gain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, I am new here and I am trying to read through as much as I can.

After a life of being overweigth, 2 years ago I changed my life style and I managed to lose 25Kg. I have started training daily, either running or crossfitting. 3 months ago something changed, I have started putting on weight (despite no diet changes) and I was unable to train as much, my heart rate would be much higher at rest and unberable at 150 when triaing (while I used to be able to reach 200 before). I was convinced that hypothiroidism kicked in, since it runs in all the women of my family... But when the doctor prescribed blood test, they found THS 0 and well over the higher limit FT3 and FT4. So hyperthyroidism it is, not hypo. I have all the symptoms, including tremors and horribly high heart rate (at night I might have 6 hours ar 120 while liying down), but I keep on gaining weigth despite eating really little now (1000 calories a day). And I keep training too, even if less intensily. I try to burn over 2400 calories a day and ingest around 1000... But I keep gaiing weight.

I am meeting the endocrinologist this week however I wonder if anyone has had weigth gain problems with hyper? I took be 18 months to lose 25Kg, an enourmous sacrifice. It is the most frustrating thing to see the scale go up without me doing absolutely anything different than when I was losing the weight :-(

Thank you.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Are you taking any meds? Have you had any other blood tests? It could be hashimotos?
    • Posted

Blood test I had two lots,last one has TSH <0.01, FT3 15 and FT4 35 and vit D 7. Rest are OK but I have not done antibodies yet, I think I will do this week when I see the endocrinologist.

I have been told once it could be Hashimotos, several years ago when my TSH was in the high range and I was 20Kg overweight.

I started having hyper symptoms (biggest being super high heart rate and tremors, mostly during the night) around 3 months ago, this is when I went to the GP. So I have not seen an endocrinologist about this issue yet, I will do this week.

• Posted

Sorry I forgot to add: no, I am not taking any meds now. I have been prescribed propanolol only if needed, not daily. I haven;t taken it yet as I most of the time manage my heart rate when it starts acting up.
    • Posted

Ok great have you had your estrign levels measured? Also I eat Paleo rather than dieting as Madge says you need to heal your gut and tied everything and Paleo is the only thing that helped me! No sugar, refined foods i.e. Processed, no wheat, limited alcohol and no dairy. Obviously I'm not a Dr but this is what works for me x

• Posted

No, I didn't have estrogen levels measured, at least I cannot see them in the papers. I will ask the endocrinologist.

Paleo is pretty much what I have done to lose 25Kg 2 years ago - I no longer eat any processed food, sugars or starchies. I do still have a little dairy and legumes thou. This has worked for me a lont time and I have managed to understand how to lose weight or how to mainaint it as I was 57Kg for 18 months without "dieting" but just stiking to the clean eating principles I learnt... The weight then started going up itself for no apparent reason.

• Posted

Oh right you're doing all the right things ! Just wondered if it could be hormonal I am estrogen dominant as I have fibroids as well as Graves! Oh the joy haha!

• Posted

I'll keep you posted when the endocrinologist sheds some light...

• Posted

Looks like you now have a lot of Homework to do before your Appt.

Good luck Luvvie ....and in the meantime ....be very good to yourself explain to everyone you need to rest and go to bed .....and if you can't sleep, at least get very comfortable and make your mind di something else , other than worry and become anxious..

M🌹

• Posted

I certainly agree with Linda .. dieting can upset the equilibrium of the thyroid

And make it work in the opposite way

.. that's why I think it will level off when you get into a proper routine ..as you begin to get better ..

The supplements that she suggests I also used .. and they and others brought me back to good health

If this is Graves .. then that is associated with your immune system and

80% if that is in your Gut !

I firmly believe that what you now start to put into your gut will affect you present illness in a very beneficial way if you choose correctly ..

Hope that helps a Little before your appt

Mx🌹

• Posted

Hi Madge I've just spent the last few minutes giving you an overview of why I'm on here and I got booted off 😳😳😳 so I won't bother with that.

I've recently been told I have subclinical hyperthyroid- had a scan for nodules thankfully that came back clear - endocrinologist (who I've not seen this is being done via email between them and GP) my vitD was low so stated that last Thursday (can you get headaches with this)?

GP telephoned me last Friday said endocrinologist wants me to start on Carbimazole so I've just picked it up from chemist. Have read scary reports that this can put weight on you and I joined a slimming group back in June and have so far lost just on three stone and just paid for 6weeks in advance so really don't want to gain weight as it's waste of my money - but I do realise the probs I could get if I don't take the meds - feel like I'm already on enough due to other health issues - when is the best time to take Carbimazole? Hope you can help. Cheers Saph

• Posted

Sapphire ... I would have taken anything to get my Graves disease gone 

the symptoms were becoming very life threatening .  I didn't know Carbimazole would put weight on ... however .... it did ..

...around 7 pounds

but I think it's because it enhances your appetite .. and so .. in the end, it's really your decision whether or not you put that food  in your mouth , as it's the calories that put the weight on .... so with all your will power you had to lose weight ... you can control that appetite .

i know it's not easy ... I was in the same situation ... I did not want to 

put weight on !!

however .. hopefully you will only be on Carbimazole for a short time 

and then your metabolism will level out again ... and become your new metabolism.

wouldnt you rather get rid of this damned Thyroid  problem and feel like your old self again...   or stay wired to the moon and thin !

Come on ..   sooner you get started the better all round ... can't you get to see your Endocrinologist ?  they know a bit more about the Thyroid than most Doctors do ... and could perhaps guide you better.

Keep asking questions in here ... you'll get lots of help !

luv mx🌹

• Posted

Thanks Madge but I feel I don't have problems like I've read on here - this was something picked up by GP I've not heard be to them and said I've got this that and the other - doc has started me on 5 mg once a day - yet I've read that you normally start on high then come down - doc reckons it's a case that endocrinologist are passing the buck and I'm piggy in the middle - maybe I've been caught starting the hyperthyroid so that's why symptoms aren't as bad as others - it's like Fibro I know I haven't got that as bad as anyone on Fibro forum. I just feel in a quandary at the minute- I've PMd you as requested and said in that post - I know the consequences if I don't take meds - is there a best time to take this? Is vitD likely to be the cause of headaches I am getting do you know only been taking since Thursday? What I will do is text my consultant at slimming club to see what I can do - it maybe I up carbs or proteins etc. Would still welcome feedback from you though. Thanks Saph

• Posted

Thanks Karma if you can read my post back to Madge then it will save me typing everything out again - this is all new to me and feel anxious about it - doc has given me 5mg once a day - I've started vitD last Thursday as that was low but I am getting headaches so would like to know if this can be the cause? Going to text my consultant at slimming group as she may have come across this before and can advise which is the best way to go foodwise. Would welcome a response from yourself or anyone who can help. Thanks Saph

• Posted

Food wise ... don't know if it would help you ...  I have never eaten meat in my entire life .  but get my protein from other food sources ... eggs..nuts , seeds, veg, and other healthy stuff.... I have a love of carbs tho..

bread , rice and pasta ..  but I'm not giving those up !!

Answer ... I took the Carbimazole for a few months ..  started in 20mg a day  and it worked fast , felt good in a few weeks  then down to 10mg per day, felt  

better and all the bloods were improving .. ended on 5mg which a took for a number of weeks before becoming Euthroid..

• Posted

Hi my lovely I was the sane when I started carbimazole and I avoided taking it for quite some time but became very ill so had to! The carb gave me headaches at first but it goes away! I eat Paleo and it helps a lot!! In fact it brought my levels down! Msg me for any particular questions! Happy to help! I have been on carb 5 mg since July and refused the higher dose as I use herbs too but that's my choice I don't suggest you do that without researching etc! I know take 10 mg a day as I need an op urgently so getting T4 within range asap! It now makes me feel awful and think I am becoming hypo! We are all different though so not one size fits all x

• Posted

All what you mention are encouraged in slimming group - except fat on meat etc but I do try to steer away from meat as much as possible.

Looks like GP is trying the opposite way starting me low to see how that goes. Thanks once again. Saph ❤️

• Posted

You must eat natural good fats like coconut oil, ghee and advocdos x
    • Posted

Thanks Karmaway I think they may have caught this in early stage as I am not ill at all and hope I don't become ill either have enough going on without that.

Will keep in touch I am taking first one in the morning. 😳😳

ThanksSaph ??

• Posted

Can't do that hun too much fat in them - don't think my consultant at slimming group would be happy with that😂😂

I eat healthy anyway now since being with group - no crap - loads of veg - fruit - eggs etc.

Speaking of food must start the tea. Thanks once again for your feedback. Saph ??

• Posted

I agree Karma...    they're good and they're healthy for you too

......  and I luv em too !

mx🌹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.