Hyperthyroidism and weight gain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, I am new here and I am trying to read through as much as I can.

After a life of being overweigth, 2 years ago I changed my life style and I managed to lose 25Kg. I have started training daily, either running or crossfitting. 3 months ago something changed, I have started putting on weight (despite no diet changes) and I was unable to train as much, my heart rate would be much higher at rest and unberable at 150 when triaing (while I used to be able to reach 200 before). I was convinced that hypothiroidism kicked in, since it runs in all the women of my family... But when the doctor prescribed blood test, they found THS 0 and well over the higher limit FT3 and FT4. So hyperthyroidism it is, not hypo. I have all the symptoms, including tremors and horribly high heart rate (at night I might have 6 hours ar 120 while liying down), but I keep on gaining weigth despite eating really little now (1000 calories a day). And I keep training too, even if less intensily. I try to burn over 2400 calories a day and ingest around 1000... But I keep gaiing weight.

I am meeting the endocrinologist this week however I wonder if anyone has had weigth gain problems with hyper? I took be 18 months to lose 25Kg, an enourmous sacrifice. It is the most frustrating thing to see the scale go up without me doing absolutely anything different than when I was losing the weight :-(

Thank you.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rita,

?I'm sorry to hear of your weight problems despite being hyperthyroid. I was wondering whether you are on any other medications such as anti-depressants? These can cause weight gain. I took the antidepressant, mirtazapine, for four years and put on a lot of weight. I managed to lose it through daily workouts and dieting whilst I was still on it. But once I stopped the mirtazapine I lost even more weight and got the symptoms you describe so was unable to work out. I then found I was hyperthyroid. I was put on 25mg of carbimazole and put on a few pounds but only 3 or 4 even though I was on a high dose for four months before tapering down. I am now only on 2.5mg a day and my thyroid levels are in the low end of the normal range, but I am now losing weight despite having stopped working out since I was diagnosed almost a year ago. So being hyperthroid does not always cause weight loss, and being close to hypothyroid (as I am now) does not always cause weight gain. The opposite can happen. It's all very confusing!

?Anyway, try not to worry too much about the meds making you gain more weight, most people don't gain much at all. Just a few pounds. You may then find like me that you actually start to lose the weight once your levels return to normal range.

• Posted

Thank you for the encouraging words!

I am not taking any meds now, except for vitamin D supplement since a week ago (my level is currently 7, which is the lowest I have ever been).

I have met the endocrinologist yesterday and she explained the potential 3 causes (Grave's, thyroiditis or nodule in the thyroid). She drew more blood for the antibodies and booked a scan which I should take in the next couple of days. She explained to me that right now my metabolism is upset by this thyroid issue and that once I sort my thyroid out I should be able to diet and exercise as before and therefore loose weight again. I am now 1kg away from "overweight" and this is upsetting me enormously. So I look forward to feel better!

• Posted

It took a doctor several years to consider I may have had a thyroid issue and initially my weight was fine. Then about 18 months in I started gaining weight. Thought it was all the zesty breads I was wolfing down from Little Caesars so I stopped and cut down in general but kept gaining slowly. By the time I was finally diagnosed I was about 20 lbs over my normal weight. My dr said do not stop eating or start skipping meals because that makes it worse. He said eat 4-5 small healthy meals throughout the day TO KEEP YOUR METABOLISM GOING. I follow that and have actually started to drop a few pounds

• Posted

That's it ..!!!!

That's what I'm doing tomorrow !

👍

Mx🌹

• Posted

I was diagnosed with the same disease 2 years ago with is (Graves disease ) and i managed to drop about 27 kilograms and was happy with the results just for my to start feeling weird and after Dr's screening I was very disappointed months later due to a weight gain of 25 kilos anyways apparently you have to wait it out for it to take its course and normalize.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.