Hyperthyroidism and weight gain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

Ive recently been diagnosed with an over active thyroid after initially undergoing tests because my GP thought it was likely underactive.

i have not lost any weight instead have been steadily gaining weight with strict dieting i am able to maintain this weight but not actually lose any. the reason i went to the doctors initially was my struggle to lose weight.

i am on carbimazole and was basically laughed out of the surgery when i said I'd like to try and lose weight. Dr said it's unlikely to happen.

i cant find any advice online about whether people were able to lose weight on Carbimazole. Or find many cases of people who also put weight on with an overactive thyroid. if anyone could give me any advice that would

be great or just someone who has had a similar situation to me.

thanks so much

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have recently been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid but I’m awaiting treatment at the hospital. I too have put on weight which they said was unusual. I would be interested to read any replies to your post as I would like to lose weight but find it impossible.

• Posted

Hi Laura72159,

Sorry I don't have advice but you are not alone. I also put on weight, before diagnosis and while i was first being treated for graves. Once I was off carbimazole I did lose some but not all I gained BUT I will stress that I was not very good at trying. This was a couple of years ago, the graves is back and I am determined this time not to gain weight and I have managed to lose some while on carimozole but only with a very strict diet very low calorie diet (exante). I would not want to promote this as I did not discuss with the doctor first but I feel I have little choice at the moment as for other health reasons I have to lose a few stone. Hope you're doing ok and hanging on in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.