Hyperthyroidism - Are these symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm not on any medication, gp is just monitoring me at the minute. I have had an ultrasound which showed a lot of nodules some of which were over 2cm long tho the endocrinologist said they were benign. Lately I have been noticing that sometimes it feels like I am going to stop breathing and that my heart is racing with palpitations - only lasts for a few seconds but is getting more regular. I then feel sort of woozy and spaced out. Also sometimes it feels like I can't swallow as my throat feels numb or paralyzed and I have to force myself to swallow. I am not anxious or anything so don't think it's anxiety. Has anyone else ever had this or do you think it is totally unrelated.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I’ve experienced something similar but I’m on medication and levels are normal at the moment. Back in September 2017, I Thought I felt a lump in my throat and at times found it hard to swallow, has to force it like you’ve described.  some nights I felt I couldn’t breathe and had to sit up at night to fall asleep. I got concerned so told my endo, who couldn’t feel anything by touching my neck. The feeling came and went, and my endo said if it’s a growth it wouldn’t “be there one day and not the next” . My annual ultrasound was due anyway so has that checked out but everything came back negative. After 3 months of this it suddenly went away and I’ve have not felt it since. Still don’t know what caused it to this day but thought heart burn could’ve been a possibility based on the physical symptoms I read online, and my endo didn’t have an answer. 

This is just my experience.

• Posted

May I ask if you had a fine needle biopsy? Just wondering how they know if it is benign from an ultra sound? Have you been put on a diet, and are you exercising? I am waiting for an ultrasound on the 18th of May, and I requested a biopsy if any nodules were found. Unfortunately I don’t see an Endocrinologist until July 31st. However, I cannot do too much without my heart racing.i know you cannot allow the heart to race as it will shorten your life by years. I don’t think it is anxiety, it is part of the disease. Swallowing is difficult, and I have the same feelings. I think I would have asit down with the Endocrinologist, and ask him/her whatthe plan is, and explain your feelings.

God bless

Arlea

• Posted

My ultrasound showed I have a calcification in my thyroid but no nodules so a biopsy was not performed. I’m not on any specific diets or exercise regimes besides personal ones I’ve been on forever. 

Are you able to ask your family doc to prescribe you propranolol to control heart palpitations and racing while you wait for your appt? Sorry you’re going through this and having to wait so long to see an endo, hopefully you’ll get more answers after your ultrasound.

• Posted

Oh shoot, sorry I thought your reply was addressed to me. Lol. Can ignore it. 
    • Posted

Hi I didnt have a needle biopsy as the endocrinologist said he could tell from the ultrasound that they were benign. I saw my GP today and he has done a full set of bloods. He also had an ECG done which showed no abnormality. I am having a monitor fitted next week for 24hours. He said the swallowing could be silent reflux. To be fair he is covering all bases so will wait til blood results com back and take it from there.
    • Posted

My ultrasound is in 6 days. I would rather know what the results of that are. I really must be very careful of what I take as this with COPD, I am concerned about taking anything else at this time, except for the vitamins I found that may help. I only start having palpitations if I try to do the normal things around the house, and that really bothers me too!
  • Posted

Hi there I have this and still continue having woozy lightheaded and the feeling of can't swallow sometimes as if ur throat is swollen .... also week and tired feeling hot unwell I'm now on carbivolol and propranolol  my tsh very low t4 sky high 

Need to ask why has he- she not put u on meds 

• Posted

I saw my GP today and he has done a full set of bloods. He also had an ECG done which showed no abnormality. I am having a monitor fitted next week for 24hours. He said the swallowing could be silent reflux. To be fair he is covering all bases so will wait til blood results com back and take it from there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.