hyperthyroidism, graves chest pain and gastric pain...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone

After having a baby I went to a doctor, I was hoping he will do a blood test but he did not and asked me to come back in 6 months. When I came back in six months I was having Thyroid storm it was too late. I ended up having heart attack. Latter on I was diagnosed with Hyperactive thyroid and graves disease. I couldn't even go and see endocrinologist because I was too weak after my pulse being 140 for few months so I was in intensive care. I could not understand why i was feeling so bad I did not even knew that Graves disease exist at all. I have been taking Merthimazole for six months now together with beta blockers but I have chest pains every day. I wend to 4 different cardiologist and they all confirmed that my heart recovered now and they think I am getting chest pain from anxiety which I do not think that I have. It is so frustrating they pin point it to anxiety so they do not need to look further and I keep fighting with them because it is not anxiety. I am starting to think that it is my upper stomach that is giving me upper left side chest pains as I feel gassy too and when I run it goes away. I am, so tired of being always in pain I am going to see a doctor this year and hopefully they will give me some answers. Does anyone else with Graves get chest pains? How do you deal with it? I feel that eating junk food makes it worse I also feel that running helps with pain most of the time. I am so tired of not feeling normal. Is there anyone who Overcame Graves, what supplements help to cope with it? I am mainly on inflammatory diet now. Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry that you have suffered so much.  Are you being followed regularly having your thyroid tests monitored?  If yes, always get and keep a copy of your lab tests and post those results here when wanting feedback.  I have Graves disease diagnosed in 2007.  Initially I was put on 10 mg of Methimazole which immediately brought my Free T3 and Free T4 down to the mid range.  However, my TSH remained at less than 0.001 for two years until I added supplements.  I read an article on the benefit of hyperthyroid patients taking Regular L-Carnitine 3,000 to 4,000 mg a day.  I always get my levels tested before I take any supplement so I know where I fall on the scale.  Patients who have been running hyperthyroid usually always are deficient in vitamins, minerals and amino acids and replacing them makes sense but I want to know my values when I start.  So I got my Total Carnitine and Free Carnitine tested and I was deficient.  I started taking Regular L-Carnitine 3,000 mg a day and my TSH started to come up.  Later I took Acetyl-L-Carnitine and my TSH really started to come up well into the normal range however, this is more sensitive and requires frequent adjustments, more so than the Regular L-carnitine if you want to avoid going Hypo.  I then found out I was deficient in Vitamin D (which most hyper patients are) and I was also low on magnesium.  So I take vitamin D 1,000 IU per day and Magnesium 200 mg per day.  Some researchers believe that autoimmune thyroid disease is caused by a leaky gut.  I got tested for H.pylori and was found to be positive so you might ask for that test to be done.  Also, you might ask about a possible gall bladder condition given where you are feeling your pain.  

• Posted

Hi IndraGravesPain

I do not know much about Graves Disease, but i can refer you to a book which a doctor wrote who had Graves Disease. It's about Autoimmune Diseases including Graves Disease and how to treat them through diet and supplements. I cannot give you the title of the book or the author on the forum as my reply will be moderated..Do you want me to send you a private message with the details?.....please let me know...

• Posted

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreacite you all taking time to write to me. My T3 T4 TSH are in normal range after taking methimazole for 6 months but TSI is very high still close to 500 when normal range is max 160 or so. Have been trying to get off my betablokers metoprolol and again my chest was hurting at night I woke up from fear... I do not understand why I have chest pains they really bother me I was in ER 4 times and also then saw 3 cardiologist again no explanation. It is very hard to be sick and have a toodler to take care of at the same time. I have Graves! rolleyes 
  • Posted

Hi Indra I have graves disease and I was like u getting chesty pains and lots of burping with upper left side stomach pain which was going on my left back side too my GP send me for ultrasound of abdomen they did not find anything then I asked my GP to send me for endoscopy and there they found stomach gastritis I'm on PPi s for my stomach and vitamins for my thyroid ...but its true that thyroid and gut issues are linked to each other I never had any health issue since got graves disease after my youngest child in 2015 I started having these issues ...pls ask ur doctor to send u for endoscopy that's the only way they can find out ....good luck ...and hope we all get better soon ......luv ....samy

• Posted

Hi Indra I have graves disease and I was like u getting chesty pains and lots of burping with upper left side stomach pain which was going on my left back side too my GP send me for ultrasound of abdomen they did not find anything then I asked my GP to send me for endoscopy and there they found stomach gastritis I'm on PPi s for my stomach and vitamins for my thyroid ...but its true that thyroid and gut issues are linked to each other I never had any health issue since got graves disease after my youngest child in 2015 I started having these issues ...pls ask ur doctor to send u for endoscopy that's the only way they can find out ....good luck ...and hope we all get better soon ......luv ....samy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.