Hyperthyroidism (overactive Thyroid)

Posted , 4 users are following.

A little history before I go on to my story. I have a history of Ulcerative colitis that is under control with Humira and I am in remission . I started having uc flare ups in 2011 .I have severe anxiety and irritability and have gone to the doctors to get anxiety medication about 6 month ago. I was on lexapro for more than 6 month and it wasn't helping at all with anxiety. I went to the doctors the other day because I felt horrible when I would exercising. My heart rate would be racing between 90-103 bpm and would stay that way for more than 40 minutes. I was concerned I had a heart issue. I also felt very drained and tired all day long for many weeks at a time. My anxiety and irritability with shortness of breath were getting worse plus I had heat intolerance that really concerned me. Thought that exercise would help me feel better but it didn't. When I initially went to the doctor he performed an ecg and he found nothing. He did some blood work and found that my thyroid was overactive meaning I have hyperthyroidism. I read more about hyperthyroidism and the side effects I was experiencing can be related to having overactive thyroid. Breathing issues, fatigue Anxiety , irritability, heat intolerance, sleep issues (sometimes), and itchiness which I had all of these. The real concerning issue is that the medication that I am taking for my Uc (humira) has similar side effects to the hyperthyroidism I was diagnosed with. My main concern is the shortness of breath. Is the shortness of breath from the humira or from my hyperthyroidism? Anyone who was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism have shortness of breath as a symptom? I am going to get more blood work done in the next few weeks to check my thyroid level again.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, From this forum, many patients with hyperthyroidism reported having symptom of shortness of breath. You mentioned your UC is in remission. Why are you still taking humira? Can you ask to take test for UC? And what is your first test result from blood work for thyroid -- T3, T4, TSH? Take care and wish you well.

• Edited

Online it states. Can you ever stop taking Humira?

Humira (adalimumab) is considered a biologic maintenance (long-term) medication. If you stop using your Humira, your condition may worsen. Your symptoms, like pain and inflammation, can return. Do not stop taking Humira unless your doctor tells you to . So if I stop taking Humira my symptoms will come back sooner or later. So I need to keep taking it forever. My blood work and colonoscopy report for my UC are excellent and the doctor is very happy that I have improved over the past few years. About my blood work for thyroid, the doctor only checked TSH, 3rd generation levels and mine is 0.13. I will get another blood work done at the end of next week so the doctor can confirm that I have hyperthyroidism. Thank You for replying and clarifying that other people on this forum have had symptoms of shortness of breath with thyroid issues.

• Posted

Hi qwert, I re-read your post, but first I have to say that I know none or little about UC and Humira. That being said, I do see all your symptoms (anxiety, irritability, sleep, fatigue, shortness of breath, heat intolerance etc.) and reaction to exercise are pointing straightly to hyperthyroidism as my experience reminds me (I have been a patient of Gravis disease, a kind of hyperthyroidism, but now generally recovered and aiming to remission). Your TSH number is low and a test evidence of hyper. However, there are different types of hyperthyroidism. You may want to ask your doctor to find out (more tests to diagnose). Then seek the right option of treatment. GL

• Edited

Ulcerative Colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease that effects the large intestine. It causes bloody stool and if it isn't treated immediately your Hemoglobin can go down quickly and you can die from bleeding. Yes I am going to get another set of blood work done next week to confirm the diagnosis and hopefully can get treated. Also I have few questions for you:

1)What medication were you on when you were diagnosed with Gravis disease?

2)Were there any side effects that you experienced from medication?

3)What symptoms did you have that lead you to going to the doctors and getting diagnosed with Gravis?

4)How long were you on the medication / or are you still taking it?

• Posted

hello, i have diagnosed hyperthyroidism for five years now. and i would say shortness of breath is not one of the symptoms i have experienced... mine were just initial weight loss, which was gained back because of methimazole (it makes me eat more), enlarged thyroid gland, irregular menstruation, hand tremors (which have thankfully gone away now), and changed bowel movements. no shortness of breath at all. i hope you well in your journey with hyperthyroidism!

• Posted

Hi qwert, I think the UC you suffered with is a possible cause of, if diagnosed, hyperthyroidism that due to autoimmunity because of UC your immune system is compromised. AW, you are way ahead of yourself. The key is obtain a clear diagnosis first. There are different types of treatments for different types of hyperthyroidism. I found out I might have thyroid problem when my annual blood panel showed thyroid levels were upward to the upper limit. But at the time, my pcp dismissed the case as borderline condition. The only noticeable symptom I experienced was getting tired often and became worse as time passed, but I dismissed it for aging. Not until my endo verified and confirmed my case to be GD, not thyroid disease, not thyroid cancer, not..., then suddenly many hyper symptoms (fatigue, breathing, heart pulse, anxiety, sleeping, irritability, stressful, weight loss, ...) flared up and I lost all control of my body. TSH down to 0! and it got even worse when my endo persistently suggested removing thyroid be the best cure which I rejected as it is not a real cure (then you become hypo permanently and must take medication lifetime). So I was prescribed MMI to control the condition. It did reduce some of the symptoms, but did not totally reverse the condition and TSH hadn't budged a bit. I started to research and discovered it's autoimmunity. Went on naturalpathy and took care of my dietary problem: AIP (autoimmune dietary protocol) and took supplement and herbs and change lifestyle... it's a long long journey... during the process I kept reducing MMI dose without Endo's approval and no joy to hear Endo's continuing threat on thyroid surgery. At a point when I was certain my efforts on controlling the condition effective (TSH and thyroid levels became normal), fired Endo and made to be treated by an Endo of UCSF professor. This Endo is great in the way that he like me to work with him, not to treat me, to improve my case. Afterward, my condition was totally under control and almost fully reversed. Now I only take a minimum dose of MMI occasionally when I got too stressed up. I hope you soon have a clear diagnosis and make a good start for treatment. As always, patience is a good medicine. Wish you well.

• Posted

Hi rainism, Thank you. I am well aware of some hyper patients may not or little suffer shortness of breath. After all, all hyper patients cases are in some way different because no patient's physical condition is same and different patients may have different causes for the hyper disease. AW, I wish your condition is all under control now or better that in full remission.

• Posted

I understand what you are saying. I am really concerned with my shortness of breath because I use to be able to run without issues. I also have irritability and anxiety that are really concerning. I will get more blood work done this week and hopefully this can really get sorted out. I want to get back to exercising again.

• Posted

My advice for you: if you can't or won't slow down with your exercise routine when you have hyper condition, it will get worse, not better. Lifestyle-change is a key. GL

• Posted

Yes mike I understand what you are saying. I was an active person who would play basketball and run. Now I cannot do these thing and until I get an answer from the doctor as to what I really have I wont do too much vigorous exercise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.