Hyperthyroidism starting treatment 5mg Carbimazole

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice. The rundown; After about a year of progressively worsening symptoms such as heat intolerance, shaking hands, insomnia and high energy coupled with a later collapse of energy, and pressure behind the eyes (could be sinus related), I have finally been diognosed by my primary care physician as having hyperthyroidism. Had about 5 full scan blood tests showing:

TSH: Low but within reference range in all tests

Free T3: Above reference in two tests, but only a couple of points above reference

T4: My latest test showed T4 above reference but only a couple of points above, not at the same time as Free T3.

My doctor has agreed to start treatment with 5mg Carbimazole taken once daily which I had to beg him for as my symptoms are severe despite my levels only being marginally over reference.

My symptoms have been unaffected in the 3 weeks since I've started treatment, and I understand that I need to leave it longer before assessing the full benefit of the treatment, however my research tells me that typically a Carbimazole course is started at least at 15mg, 5mg 3x per day and dropped to 5mg after a period of time for maintenance.

My doctor hasn't been able to give me firm advice other than wait a little longer.

My questions to the forum are:

- will my current dosage be effective in relieving my symptoms

- has anyone else experienced Hyper symptoms only marginally above reference values?

* I'm asking for the full results of my labs to post tomorrow so will be able to update this post when they arrive.

Thanking you in advance! This forum has been a great resource in this (seemingly endless) struggle! :-)

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

For some it will be effective . I have overactive thyroid myself . I'm on carbimazole 15mg ,but they still can not control my levels .its been 2 years I have been taking these tablets with proponolol tablets to control the shaking and sweating , the proponolol is helping on the shaking a sweating but they cannot comtrol my thyroid levels so I have decided to go for the radio iodine treatment

The other thing is my brother had over active thyroid , his has been controlled but mine couldn't. It's different for everybody

• Posted

There are so many side affects on the car imagine tablets , I'm low on vitamin d. My bones are always hurting , my dry skin has gone worse cause of the tablets .
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. I'm also on Propononal and have been since befor my diognosis to control shaking and rapid heartbeat. I'll be sure to get a full blood scan with my vitamin levels to make sure they're not being affected.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism over 2 years ago. Symptoms were rapid heartbeat/pulse, breathlessness, anxiety/panic attacks, heat intolerance, weight/muscle loss, heat intolerance, shaky hands, double vision, extreme fatigue. I was started on 40 mgs of carbimazole by my GP which sorted out the worst of the symptoms within about 2/3 weeks and was also referred to an Endocrinologist. Over 2 years later, I am still on medication of 40 mgs Carbimazole and 100 micrograms Levothyroxine and am presently HYPO, having been extremely HYPER last month after my meds were stopped to see if my thyroid would "behave".  It didn't !  I am seeing the Endo. again tomorrow having been referred back to him by my GP.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you are hyper and hope you soon feel better on the meds. If you are on a low dose you should stabilise soon. I was the same and went into remission. It came back after three years following sepsis. However this time, due to a low level of care from my endo, I'm having problems being stabilised . My meds have gone from 10mg pd to 2.5 and every time the meds are altered I go hyper or hypo. Please ensure that when your meds are reduced it is done gradually. I'm verging on desperation now as I feel so bad. If I can't be stabilised I'm going to have to opt for surgery.
    • Posted

Sue, I can empathise as I feel as though my level of care from both Endo and GP has been extremely poor for over 12 months and as a result I have gone from hyper to hypo several times and presently hypo with blood results "out of range".  I am not coping well at all with the symptoms and feel so low about it all but I am not going to opt for RAI or surgery until I have been given a chance to go into remission on a low dose of Carbimazole (no Levothyroxine as I don't think it agrees with me) and a HIGH dose of care from the Endo and my GP and I will be suggesting this when I see the Endo tomorrow.  My life or rather lack of life is going from bad to worse.
  • Posted

Hi

This seems paron the course It is a struggle to get diagnosed, treated, monitored. Why?

Why is this peculiar to thyroid patients?

Lucy.

• Posted

Jared,

I had to have RAI treatment it has been a month and I can tell I'm still hyper I still take beta blocker. At times it is better as far as tremors and guess what can take a small nap without Ambien!!! But I still have occasional chest pain, still have weakness and have to do baby workouts cause I'm panting like a dog. Can't wait to go to dr on 11/6 for lab although I know I'm still high. Meds would not work for me I was super high or should I say low😓

• Posted

I've been advised that If I get radio iodine done I may get under active but ders less chance And the doctor also told me that I have 98%chance of getting better if I have radio iodine cause he has done the scan on me and it shows him , I am just getting Abit confused now to wat I should do . My day for taking the tablet radio iodine is on Tuesday , please advise me Nyone who has had radio iodine on wat I should do
    • Posted

Hi Dee kee ,

Do u think the RAI don't work then cause I'm going to have mine on Tuesday , should I go ahead with it , I'm confused 🙁

• Posted

Jared,

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease with hyperthyroidism when I was 30 years old and put on PTU which supposedly burned out my thyroid. I was on it for 10 years which I was told I should not have been on it for more than 3 years. Had no idea. I don't know anything about the medication you are on but I was told my thyroid is Hypo and my TSH .03 which causes me to be so tired all the time so I understand your predicament! It's so frustrating when you don't really know what to do. Have you had a throat scan?

• Posted

Hi.  I'd seriously  recommend that you look into the symptoms of magnesium deficiency, many things deplete magnesium - its vital and its a relaxing and calming mineral that really helps with the symptoms of palpitations, tremors, insomnia, stress and fatigue. 
    • Posted

YES !!  I also suggest L Carnetine supplements.  Many patients on this site are taking them in conjunction with their carbimazole and its been proved by scientists in Italy that it protects the heart. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.