Hypertiroidism, result after taking 5 month Methimazole

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.around 6 month ago suddenly start to lose weight and start having stomachache problem sweat  hands , heart beat fast after visited doctor and had a thyroid test found out that i have hyperthyroid .

doctor told me to start Methimazole ( 10 mg per day) and Propranolol 10 (2pill per day).

first Test :T4 (RIA)  25   ug/dl  (Adults  4.5 -- 12)    T.S.H (IRMA)   0.004  mlu/l  (0.3 -- 4)

thyroid sonography result:   36x21 mm (R LOBE ) 33x19 (L LOBE ) there isnt any sign of cancer 

second Test after a month :  T4 (RIA)  14.8   ug/dl  (Adults  4.5 -- 12)    T.S.H (IRMA)   0.04  mlu/l  (0.3 --- 4)

T3  (RIA) 152  ng/dl    (Adults  80 to 200)  Free T4 (CLIA)  pg/ml   30.4   (8 --- 17 )

Third Test after a month : T4 (RIA)  16   ug/dl  (Adults  4.5 -- 12)    T.S.H (IRMA)   0.08  mlu/l  (0.3 -- 4) 

T3  (RIA) 175  ng/dl    (Adults  80 to 200)

after this test i start raising   Methimazole does to 15 mg per day 

4th Test after a month and half :  T4 (RIA)  8.1   ug/dl  (Adults  4.5 -- 12)    T.S.H (IRMA)   0.06  mlu/l  (0.3 -- 4) 

T3  (RIA) 111  ng/dl    (Adults  80 to 200)   ESR 1st hr    3  m.m ( Men up to 12 winkESR 2st hr 5 m.m

5th test after 21 day: T4 (RIA)  6.4   ug/dl  (Adults  4.5 -- 12)    T.S.H (IRMA)   0.01  mlu/l  (0.3 -- 4) 

T3  (RIA) 100  ng/dl    (Adults  80 to 200) 

after this i had another thyroid sonography and the result was:

45x23 mm (R LOBE ) 50x26 (L LOBE ) still there isnt any sign of cancer but the thyroid itself got bigger than 5 month ago.

the doctor said that because the thyroid getting bigger its better that i do thyroid removal surgery or radioactive iodine but i dont want to .

should i continue Methimazole or do  thyroid removal surgery or radioactive iodine? is it possible to control the thyroid with medicine? 

will the thyroid get bigger if i continue Methimazole ? because the doctor said your thyroid will get bigger and bigger so i should decide to have surgery or radioactive iodine 

should i start vitamins or anything else for T.S.H level? 

i haven't been taking anything else rather than Methimazole  and Propranolol .

Please help me to decide .Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What is your diagnosis? In other words, what is causing your hyperthyroidism? I am assuming that you do not have thyroid nodules.

Read about Iodine deficiency as it may cause your whole thyroid to become enlarged. However, talk to your doctor and make sure that your Iodine intake does not exceed the recommended daily allowance (150 micrograms). You have to be careful as too much Iodine will make your hyperthyroidism worse.

• Posted

Thank you danR . No i dont have thyroid nodules.

Suddenly from 2 weeks ago the thyroid become bigger that i could feel it.

Doctor said the thyroid become bigger because of Methimazole. cuz the t4 from 25 reduce to 6.4 in 5 month so thyroid wants to produce more t4 so it has become bigger. Is it true?

Also the doctor said i dont have time and i should decide fast between surgery and radioactivr iodine.

The question is it possible that thyroid become even bigger ? Should i continue methymazole? What vitamins and mineral should i take?

Ive heard that L carnitin can level T.S.H is it true?

• Posted

I forgot to add that i dont know what causing hyperthyroidism , is there any test that you suggest me to do?
  • Posted

You need to be tested for antibodies to see if the reason for your hyperthyroidism is autoimmune and if so, which autoimmune thyroid condition you might have.  (tests for autoimmune conditions are TRAb or TSI, anti-TPO.  If anti-TPO is very high, TGAb for Hashimoto's).  Also, I would not raise or lower your medication dosage without discussing this with your doctor first.  Vitamin D is a very important supplement, especially for patients with thyroid problems.  I got tested for this and found out I was deficient.  I would also ask for tests before I take any supplements.  I also got tested for my Total Carnitine and Free Carnitine levels and found out I was deficient.  Same with Magnesium.  Hyperthyroid patients lose a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids while they are running hyperthyroid and replacing these help to normalize their values but I always got tested for my levels before I added any supplement.

• Posted

I have gotten all my numbers in range by completing a heavy metal detox while following an antiviral diet while taking the minimal 10mg tapizole. Check out the ideas in a book called thyroid healing by Anthony William. I see the endo on Friday and plan to reduce my med while maintaining my new eating routine. It is a HUGE commitment.. But I didn't want my thyroid killed or removed either!

• Posted

Congratulations on your success.  I found for me that my current Endo reduced my meds slowly (not more than 2.5 mg at a time) and that worked best for me.  I had been on a dose of 10 mg and my first Endo dropped it by 5 mg when my labs (especially TSH) started to show improvement and I got a backlash  2 weeks after that with a recurrence of symptoms so I had to raise it to 7,5 mg.    
    • Posted

Thanks, I hope my endo is on board.  She really wasn't supportive of me when I brought up the whole anti viral diet thing. 

• Posted

She wasn't supportive because that's not within her scope of knowledge.  Doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea.  I have worked for doctors for over 35 years and I can tell you they follow the herd mostly.  Some of the  younger ones have told me they are now learning some naturopathic solutions as well as medical which is great to hear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.