Hypertonic pelvic floor, prolapse and exercises, am I making it worst?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, so I'm really hoping someone can share their experiences or advice, as it's going to be awhile before I can physically visit a pelvic PT. 

So here is what is happening-I recently discovered and am now diagnosed with a bladder prolapse and cervical descent. So after freaking out I have been researching alot and after seeing a phsyio Therapist (PT) told to do kegels. 

However during my research I've discovered that I don't relax my muscles after a kegel or in actuality, ever. So I haven't been diagnosed but I have many symptoms of a hypertonic (too tense) pelvic floor and I think that this has been the case since I was a young child. I have always had bladder infections, urgency to pee, leftover pee in the bladder, plus other things such as difficulty with penetration (even a tampon). No one put this together before now so I'm waiting to discuss it with my caregiver. So in the meantime I discovered an exercise program for prolapse and diastis recti (DR, which I have a little bit of) that I was really excited to follow. However since starting the program and working on relaxing my pelvic floor with pelvic drops, deep breathing, visualisations, it seems I now need to pee MORE. I will have to pee right after the exercises and more frequently throughout the day. I do feel that I'm doing safe exercises, not leaking during the exercises, and I feel that I'm getting better at relaxing (although I'm still feel some tension there and have to concentrate to relax). I've only been doing these exercises for a week but I'm afraid to make my prolapse worst, but I also feel that i have to be doing something, including relaxing my pelvis. Is it possible that the extra peeing is because I've gotten better at relaxing and now need to strengthen? Is this a case of getting worst before better? Thanks smile

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I never received any replies or advice, and I know from searching other forums and this one that sometimes a patient never posts back with an update, which would be useful. So here's an update:

I ended up seeing a Pelvic health therapist and it was the best and only decision I should have made. By doing my own reserach at home and then trying some "safe" exercises I made it worst, my stomach became very large from damage to my diastisis recti (DR). I needed personal hands-on therapy to help with internal scarring and tense muscles. In fact I couldn't do a kegel due to internal scarring and lack of muscle tone. So with therapy and daily exercises I am now doing much better and have seen improvements. If all goes well I won't need surgery and will be able to live a fairly normal life with my usual activities. So my advice to anyone who had trouble with childbirth, not sure if things are okay, see a pelivic health therapist and get a check-up. It won't hurt to know if everything is okay or not, so much better to be safe!

• Posted

Hi, I'm pleased to hear you've finally found help for your problem. I think you must mean a pelvic floor phsio as we call it here  in the UK. I have to agree that it's much better to get professional advice before we try to do any exercises found on the web! Who knows whether they are medically safe if we have not been referred by a doctor? Our bodies are all different and have diiferent needs regarding treatment so need assessing before we try anything. Best wishes Pollyanna UK rolleyes

• Posted

That should be pelvic floor physiotherapist! Should have used 'spell check'. lol neutral

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.