Hypertonic sodium

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. Just got back from the hospital, and have been put on hypertonic sodium. They did a test on me first and everything went well. Want to know if any one else on here has tried it? And if so how did they get on ? 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackie. I was wondering if this is done through a nebulizer? Also, what type of test did they have to do? I was given some type of saline solution to nebulize but I am nervous about trying it.

Thank you, Debi

• Posted

Hi Jackie

I have been using this for a couple of years now without any issues.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi debi , yes this is done through a nebulizer . They monitor your sats and heart rate while you are inhaling the Hypertonic sodium . Sometimes it can restrict your breathing but mine was fine . The saline solution isn't the same one as Hypertonic sodium this is much higher in sodium . The saline is perfectly safe and is a gentle solution . Thanks for your reply 
  • Posted

Jackie,

I have been using Sodium Chloride for several years.  I use it with a nebulizer.

It's to thin the mucus.  I have found out that if I use it more than once or twice a day, it makes the mucus too thin and I can't couch it up, it just rattles in my lungs, so I monitor how often I use it daily.

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi Jackie

Yes lots of people with ncfbronchiectasis use hyspertonic saline, including myself and it certainly does help to get up the gunk.  It comes in 3 strengths 3%, 6% and 7%.  I use 7% unless my asthma is playing up, then I would use the lower strengths or isotonic 0l9%

Good luck.

cx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.