Hypertrophic obstructive Cardiomyopathy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I am trying to work out what we should do next as we are gutted. My husband went into hospital on 3 jan as he had a re occurrance of his atrial fibrillation. On the letter we received yesterday it mentions that it was thought my hubby had the above in 2005 but no formal diagnosis was confirmed. He was referred for an atrial fibbrillation which worked for a few years.  My son died last year out of the blue playing football at the age of 29. From what we have read if my hubby had been diagnosed in 2005 my son would have been tested as routine. Is this right? Could we have saved him? So upset right now I can't think straight and my husband is devastated thinking he killed him. Thank you if you read this it probably does not make any sense.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Deborah,

Atrial fibrillation, to my knowledge, is not something that is inherited.  In fact, it is 

unusual to see it in people under the age of 60 unless they have other contributing

factors like coronary artery disease or a congenital heart defect.  I had atrial fibrillation in my 40s, but I also happen to have a congenital heart defect.  But that

is not the norm.  Hypertrophic cardiomyapathy on the other hand can be inherited,

and oftentimes is.  Your son was young to die at the age of 29, but I personally know of a young man the same age who died , autopsy showed he died of coronary artery disease.  Were you told what caused your son's suddne cardiac arrest?  Please don't blame yourselves, chances are your son didn't have atrial fibrillation.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. My son had been ill for a few weeks very breathless and tired. The gp was looking at asthma and had referred him to hospital. He went in as an emergency one weekend as he could not breathe we rushed him in and they said they thought he might have had a virus as his heart was enlarged. They gave him water tablets and arrythmia tablets and spent weeks searching for a virus or a cause but up to the day he died had not found a cause. but the heart nurse said as he was better he could go back in goal as long as if he felt dizzy etc he sat down. Two weeks later he was dead. What has upset me is if my hubby knew he had this condition my son would have been tested and even if not when he became breathless etc alarm bells would have rung as it is known to be a genetic condition. Also I read he would have been advised not to do sports. My other son is 22 and has had two bouts of AF we are now waiting to see if hubby is told he has this condition and if so my gp says he and my other children will be tested.  
  • Posted

Hi Deborah

My sympathy goes out to you. As parents we automatically take on guilt in a situation such as you find yourself in. You must both be beside yourselves. Chances are even if your husband had been diagnosed 10 years

ago in 2005 your sons heart would have been found to be ok at that time. It can occur suddenly with young sports people. There is a charity

called the

Cardiomyopathy Association which gives support and will be able to

answer all your questions. Love and strength to you both xx

• Posted

Hi Deborah

I cant see any reason to wait to see if your husband is diagnosed. The fact that your younger son has had two episodes of AF and you have lost his brother to a cardiac problem gives you every right to ask your GP to have your other chikdren tested as a matter of urgency. Once again I would say I am not a medical person but I am a mother and would push for those tests now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.