Hypnagogic Jerk involving the Anal Sphincter?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am experiencing a hypnagogic jerk that's a little different than the others, and it is frustrating. The instant I feel that I am going to drift to sleep, I get a twitch/contraction on my anal area, I wake up, and repeats.  The feeling is similar to the natural contraction of the anal sphincter area when finishing to pee.… I am now conscious of this and has become a vicious cycle, and have trouble falling to sleep.  I am wondering if anyone has had/have this condition? I have done some searches and it seems like something that’s not very common with insomnia sufferers.

I am on occasional .5 mg Apralozam (Xanax) right now for anxiety, but I don’t know whether it is the meds or the anxiety or withdrawal in between doses.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I just wanted to chime in to let you know I experienced the exact same thing when I took Klonopin. It was ONLY in my anal area and drove me nuts! As soon as I weaned off the Klonopin it stopped. I wasn't on very long (maybe 1 month) because of all the side effects. So I am 99.9% sure your twitching/contraction is from the Xanax since it's a benzo in the same family as Klonopin. Hope that helps.

• Posted

Thank you very much for the reply.  I have been going crazy the past few nights because of this.  At least now I know someone else has gone through the exact same thing and know it is the benzo and not some physical condition I will have to live through the rest of my life. 

I have only been taking Xanax for 60 days and average about a .5mg pill every 2 days (as needed).  I am ready to get off it.  I'll talk to my doctor about weaning off.  

Thanks again!

• Posted

I think that's because your muscles are in a relaxed state. Including you anal muscles . So the tablets are just doing what the are supposed to really. 😩😩

• Posted

Hello,

I'm facing the exact same issue. How do you feel now? I hope you manage to get through this. How did you get over it?

Alex

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.