Hypnic Jerks

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 44 yr old female...work out and eat healthy. last year after a night work out (which I did regulary and only for a 1/2 hrs or so) I could not fall asleep. I was having hypnic jerks from what I was reading. They would continue for nights after that. I stopped my night work outs and opted for yoga and did it right after I would come home from work vs waiting till the evening. I started to take magnesium glycinate and uped my calcium. I have to say it helped tremendously. fast forward many months I subsided on the magnesium and I tried to add a run onto my yoga. a small run vs the strenuous ones I used to be able to do. I even did it in the am. well, that night hypnic jerks. the worst, little to no sleep. next day I did my yoga, no run and ate a banana after also oatmeal. both i usually try to eat daily but didn't on the day i had the return of the hypnic jerks. so, thankfully i had a great sleep that night, small twitches before i dozed off but again sleep! so long story short i know the agnogy of these things. i have a full time job and two small kids so sleep is gold. who knows but, what i hope is helping me is eating bananas, oatmeal, taking calcium supplements. too, I apply CBD oil before bed. I also read dehydration causes muscles to twitch and I am trying to drink more water because I'm not good at that. these things are no fun. Causes night to be something I'm anxious over versus looking forward to as was the case. Hopefully this helps someone out there.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I use to get these often when I done cardio in the evening. Never bothered me tho.

However when I get adrenaline rushes when trying to sleep, they’ll set my body into full

Panic mood for whatever reason.

Funny how this stuff don’t affect some people as much as others....

• Posted

Hi there. Iwent through hell with these several years ago to the point i contemplated taking my own life. (they were that bad). I just went to bed one night & everytime i got near the land of nod i would get a violent twitch predominantly in the neck, shoulders & arms. What made it worse was i was sent to see a neurologist & many tests later & noone could tell me what was causing them. They just literally just came from nowhere. As you mentioned i too became anxious about bedtime because i knew what was coming. (another sleepless night). I used to get around an hour to an hour & a half sleep night after night for well over a year!! Eventually i had to leave my fulltime job & i lost my nice home because i had to go on a sickness benefit for sometime. Then the miracle came!! After trial & error on many different meds i was finally put on a med called 'rivotril'. It's a benzo but what the hell. Whatever works. I still take this med to this day cos it gave me my life back. I have a bice home again & i'm working again earning better money than before. I know some people will say be careful of benzo's & they are right to say that but i only take a low dose & have never had an adverse reaction. These things can be awful & i think the biggest problem with them is that noone really knows what really causes them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.