Hypnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone has tried hypnosis for pain management. I went to a hypnotist years ago when I was in my teens for something else and it was awful. It didn't work and I felt really embarrassed for the woman and ended up pretending it was working. I was thinking as fibromyalgia is chalked up to an oversensitive nervous system that hypnosis might be able to dull it down, if it works of course.

If you haven't been for pain have u been for anything else and did it work? Do you think your susceptible to suggestion. I would say I'm not but as I feel in a fog most of the time these days I thought perhaps it might actually work now as half the works done for them!!!!

I'm doing trigger point massage therapy at the moment. Had my first session last week with stretching homework twice a day, anyone else tried that? I was in agony all day after and the next day, gave in and took diazepam and felt ok the next 2 days, was pleasantly surprised, then today not feeling great again. Got my next torture session on Friday so will see how that pans out.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I tried massage and needle therapy in certain points. Really helps for a day or two. Never believed in hypnotist. I see a rhumey now and he has helped with DEMARDS. 

Was taken off DEMARDS which helped a lot after a few months it was causing my blood pressure to go high. 

Went to PT seems that stretching and walking helps best for me. Not to over do. I have had FM for over 20 years. 

• Posted

Hiya,

The trigger point therapy im trying is painful and i feel like dog doo doo after but shes given me stretches which help although my muscles certainly at the moment seem to feel like they just go back to tight again, im hoping that will improve.

If the Rheumy gave you DMARDS and they helped then surely you have an autoimmune condition as thats what DMARDs treat. Did he also diagnose you with one? Its a shame you had to come off if they were helping.

One of the best pain relief things ive found is a pilates reformer machine, it helps me not on the day but the next day i normally feel somewhat better. 

• Posted

Hi Charlotte. I myself would not recommend hypnosis. I have a real hesitation of anyone taking control over our mind or thinking. Under hypnosis you are no longer in control over your own thoughts and reactions, so to me it is putting ourselves in a precarious and even dangerous situation. Especially today with so many taking advantage of vulnerable ones. Of course I respect anyone's decision to do so. I myself find things like acupuncture, reflexology, and therapeutic massage quite effective. Especially in relieving stress and stimulating the bodies own healing capacities. So I personally would encourage caution today with so many forms of spiritistic treatments available. I stay clear of anything like that. Take care of yourself sweetie! Maggie xx

• Posted

Hi Magpie, 

I have tried massage, accupuncture and reflexology and although the massage and reflexology are nice and relaxing I dont feel like they really help with pain. The accupuncture ive had by several different practioners didnt help me and in some cases gave me wierd symptoms like tingling in my lip and face so ive avoided it since then.

Im a bit nervous about giving up control but i thought if someone can talk to the subconsious side of our brain and get it to relenquish the non normal pain response it might be helpful to actually getting back to the person i used to be. Even when i have good days or think im healed because ive had a few in a row of feeling fine it always comes back and ususally with vengence. I just dont think they will be able to hypnotise me as my mind is way to chatty and im quite a sceptic, id probably find it akward and get tense having someone telling me im sleepy when im not. The experience when i was younger was scarring!!

• Posted

Hi Charlotte

Horses for courses here. Works for some and not others.   Worked for me and no I did not feel someone was taking over. Be careful if you go down this route and make sure of qualifications.   Before I settled on a hypnotherapist I had several calls to discuss how they worked.  It's a partnership and you have to be happy with the therapist.  I found a lovely lady and for the first session it should be free of charge and you will just chat and get to know each other before deciding whether or not it is for you.    I did talk to several other therapists but could not feel a connection with any of them.  It's a very personal thing and most people seeking hypnotherapy are feeling rather vulnerable.  I did it because I was desparate for sleep having suffered insomnia for years due to the pain.  Can't say it took all the pain away but I certainly felt much better afterwards and do have top up sessions occasionally when I feel the need.  I have never been made to feel sleepy or out of control  just to relax so I think possibly you didn't find the right person for you first time around.  Keep an open mind - different things work for different people and lets face it fibro affects us all in different ways and so will the treatments/therapies.

• Posted

Thanks Maggers, I appreciate you sharing your experience. Im glad it worked for you to at least help releive some pain. Thank you for the advice and I agree that finding someone you feel comfortable with is probably half the battle in getting any success. I certainly didnt feel comfortable with the woman i saw as a teenager.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.