Hypnotherapy is saving my sanity

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey! I had been coping with a panic disorder (numb face/ arms, brain fog, intense chest pain, trouble breathing, chills, verge of passing out) for the last six months. I have been going to hypnotherapy for the last month and I haven't experienced a scary symptom since my first session! I really want to pass along the news in case it will work for anyone else. 

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Really good to hear that....have had some similar symptoms and will certainly consider giving it a try .Very good of you to post that so people can find something that works as an alternative to anti depressants which I'm currently trying to avoid !
    • Posted

Yes! I was taking anti anxiety medication every day until the sessions. In the past month I've only felt like I needed to take medication maybe only three days. It's a great alternative to medicine or trying to cut back on medicine if it's able to work for you!
  • Posted

Hi Danielle,

Sounds good! Whats a session like exactly?

And where did you find that person, nhs or private?

Im having really bad digestive problems now but before had very bad panic attacks..

Interested to give it a go too..wink

• Posted

Hey Stephanie! I'll post a more detailed description soon of what the sessions are like and how I found my therapist. I really hope that it works for you if you decide to try it! It has been a huge help for me.
  • Posted

Can you tell the whole story. How many sessions? What kind of hypnotherapist? How much did it cost? I tried it a long time ago and had no luck but maybe i went about it all wrong.
    • Posted

Hey Lisa! I'll post a more detailed description of the sessions soon so you can get a better idea of what it's like! I really hope that you can find relief and hope if you choose to try hypnotherapy again.
  • Posted

Really pleased you are feeling better it's really great to read good positive news.Please tell us more. X
  • Posted

I have had the same symptomstoo  but for 13 months now, I am dizzy with blurred vision and bad light aura too, been diagnosed with silent chronic migraine, I find the brain fog/head pressure the worse part!

Its like a permanent hangover :-(

Thanks I have tried everything else so may give it a go. 

• Posted

Oh my goodness, that's awful! I really hope that you find relief soon. I'm going to post a more detailed description of what a session is like in case you're interested to know more.
  • Posted

I think it helped me 2 i cant say im 100% but soooo much better i had 4 sessions for the constant head sensations / head pressure that drive me crazy , some day s are not good but nothin like they were at all x
    • Posted

I'm sooo glad that they helped you out! Do you practice any self-hypnosis? When you're living with high-anxiety even a little relief can feel incredibly hopeful ❤️
  • Posted

I'm sorry that it has taken so long to add more about this! First of all thank you so much for all of the positive vibes, it feels incredible to wake up and not have anxiety or fear about having a panic attack taking up most of my thoughts and emotions.

The hypnotherapist I am seeing was recommended to me by the psychiatrist who diagnosed me with panic disorder.

In the first session, he explained how hypnotherapy works through the power of the unconscious mind. In hypnotherapy you are still in control of your body and mind and you remember everything from the session. (Clearing up misconceptions that I had about hypnosis.) In my first session, he lead me through my first hypnotherapy experience by counting down from ten and asking me to imagine a place where I feel safe and myself. Then he says psychological affirmations and leads me through muscle relaxation awareness and eventually brings me back to consciousness. When I open my eyes again I feel awake and aware and a lot like myself before anxiety took over me. He asks me where on an anxiety scale from 1-10 I felt before and after hypnosis. He taught me self-hypnosis so I can practice 3-4 times a day for about 5 minutes each. This keeps me feeling at a much lower level of anxiety.

I haven't experienced any of the scary physical symptoms since my first session. No chest pain or trouble breathing or tingling arms/head/or face. This may take longer for some people though. It may sound hokey, but it has given me a greater quality of life again and mental space to process how else I can handle my anxiety. Please let me know if you have any more questions about it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.