Hypo

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I had a bad hypo recently, I kept eating and checking sugars throughout the hypo for a half hour or so. I had injected by mistake 24 units of humalogmix25/75 accidentally on a sugar level of 12.5. Nasty one. I was shaking like a leaf in a desert storm. Thought it was the end. As I say I kept checking levels and they were going up and down. One test went to 22.0. Next one was 8.0. Eventually it came right but not until the sink counter looked like a butcher's shop. My hands were all bloodied with test strips all around. I hope this is not too descriptive. If it is, sorry in advance. Any "info re hypo"welcome

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

If its that bad for you call for an ambulance if they can't sort you they will take you to A&E. You pay for it so use it. People think the NHS is free, not so, you pay national insurance by law and it comes off your pay same as income tax does.

• Posted

Thanks for that but I'm in ireland and luckily I dont need an ambulance at this moment. Normally I dont get hypos. But some evenings after tea and a walk, it can happen. Maybe I'm walking too fast. Ive a fast metabolism.I burn energy quick. So maybe thats a part of it. Maybe I need less insulin in the evenings. When I inject in the morning, theres probably no insulin(or hardly any) in my system but in the evening there could be more in my system as I may not have used up the morning injection so that coupled with the evening injection could lower levels quicker. Its very complicated yet solution is probably simple. I'll go to diabetic clinic soon.

• Posted

Hi tom,

I had this happen to me a few months back. Instead of injecting my slow releasing insulin that I take of a night, I injected with my fast acting insulin I take with my food (29 units). At first I totally started freaking out because I had already ate a huge meal and I couldn’t physically eat any more to contribute to the 29 units I had taken. I started to scoff all kinds of rubbish like chocolate and bottles of energy drink, DONT DO THIS! I ended up intaking that much sugar my body rejected it and made me throw it all back up, then I was back to square 1. I also worked myself up with panicking and I was having some bad anxiety about this. The best tips I can give to you in this situation is;

- Don’t panick ( I know this is easier said than done but it does effect your sugar levels)

- don’t test your blood sugar TOO much. This way you will just keep worrying yourself. Set a timer in your phone to go off every 15 mins or so if your sugars are dropping quickly.

- eat toast and drink sugary tea!!

I found this helped me so much after I realised that stuffing my face with sh*t wasn’t good for me. I have also had really bad hypos before and the best thing is always tea and toast! The toast is full of carbs to help, and obviously the tea has sugar in, but take it slowly and calmly. If you have to have 3-4 slices of toast and 5 teas then so be it, but just take it at a steady pace. 

Also your sugars might be a little bit all over the place for the next few days/week or so so just monitor your BS closely and try not to eat any uneccasary carbs that may spike your insulin when you don’t need them. 

Hope this helped smile

• Posted

Yes it helps. Didnt know about sugar and tea. Problem I have is ive only got one pen with both insulins in it. So it all goes in at one time. It must be to do with food intake then.once insulin is in there's no way back

• Posted

Do you eat the toast wit nothing on it like butter or soft cheese. I'd say they would slow down the absorption of sugar. How much sugar do you put in the tea.

• Posted

A thing I do these evenings is to toast 2slices of bread. By the way which bread do you use. I leave them there so I'm at the ready if I feel a hypo coming on. As I'm eating them I have another 2 toasting.

• Posted

Would you inject insulin before tea if your sugar level were 5.8
    • Posted

No, I have the toast with butter on smile makes it easier to eat! And I usually put 2-3 sugars in the tea so it’s nicely drinkable still 
    • Posted

I just use any bread smile usually white but any bread is absoloutley fine! Also no I would never inject before if my bloods were at 5! Although it’s a goodish level to have I always think it’s a little to close to dropping so I like to keep mine around 6-9. I would usually have my tea then inject afterwards if it was around then smile 
    • Posted

Thanks for the 2 replies. Info is handy. Its amazing when I inject 22 units of humalog mix 25 in the morning that it works the sugars down slowly but if I injected half that amount in the evening levels could plummet. Maybe im not eating enough in the evening
    • Posted

Do you know how I can calculate my insulin/carb ratio. I just had a 6.2 reading before evening meal. Ive injected 13 and will have a walk after eating more bread and some pasta left over from lunch. I dont know why im so uncertain in the evening but the morning is ok. Of course I don't go for a walk in the morning.

• Posted

Your welcome glad I could help smile there are different types of insulin’s so maybe you could ask your doctor if you could get changed onto one better suited for you? I’ve gone through 2-3 different types until I have found one now that works perfectly for me.
    • Posted

I used to calculated my ratio as 1 unit to every 10g of carbs, then I found this wasn’t enough so I went to 2 units every 10g carbs. Maybe you might need a little more at certain times in the day? I find my BS spikea in the evenings so I usually give myself a little extra. Or maybe you need to reduce what your having now if your having a lot of hypos? 
    • Posted

I cant inject extra insulin during the day as I inject twice daily and theres long and rapid acting in the one pen. So food is the one I got to keep an eye out for. I reduce mine in the evening as levels are usually good then. Problem with diabetes is its never right for too long.it could be but you'd nearly have to stay indoors permanently to achieve that

• Posted

When you mention units, do you mean rapid acting insulin. Ive got both rapid and long acting in same pen
    • Posted

I'm either a type 1 diabetic who injects twice daily or a type 2 diabetic who injects twice daily . Thats why I overheard them in the hospital when I was diagnosed saying "hes not a classic diabetic"

• Posted

Oh, thats strange. Maybe it might be a good idea to get some clarification from your doctors on what type you actually are. 
    • Posted

I wonder what difference it would make type 1 or 2 as I inject either way. Walking is good to control it also I think just to make sure I dont overdo it. Thats why the CGM would come in handy.
    • Posted

But how much insulin would you inject afterinsulin tea , thats presuming youre a twice daily injector.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.