Hypo for 12 years TSH .75

Posted , 9 users are following.

My TSH is .75 My GP deemed this normal although I have lots of symptoms weight gain cold no body hair eyebrows totally gone feeling of swelling in throat but (no lump I can feel) lightheaded at times dry skin lots of tiny skin tags suddenly appearing round my neck I feel a wreck.  Went back to another GP who reduced my Thyroxine from 125 mch to 100 but nothing has changed.   This was a month ago.  Blood test in 2 weeks.  Managed to get Doc to agree to include T4 this time but refused T3.  Apart from feellng grotty I am concerned as I have cardio myopathy and had a septal ablation in January. ( Part of heart muscle causing obstruction to outflow destroyed) It worries me what affect screwed up thyroid will have on my heart.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this TSH 0f .75?  The weird feeling in my throat started about 3 weeks ago.Makes me feel nauseous.  Would be very grateful to hear from anyone.  Thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Dear maureen43445,

I would insisit on being referred to endocrinologist to check for lumps or nodules in your thyroid. I had mine removed 2 years ago. Although it was visible and fairly large, it did not bother me at all. However, if a nodule develops closer to your windpipe and esophagus, it may explain the feeling you have. It may also affect the hormones' production including TSH, hence all your symptomps.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I will see an endocrinologist one way or another.  I think it will be the other!  Just always feel at my surgery that the minimum will be offered.  Find this "throat feeling" awful - makes you feel like gagging at times. Thank you and will post after blood tests.  Thanks!
  • Posted

Hello Maureen,I am a thyroid sufferer too,you will find out that you need to help yourself as GP's in the UK in my view are blinkered.I don't want to worry you and if you buy a book called Stop the thyroid madness available on Amazon you will learn lots about your condition.Also if you use Facebook there is an excellant Thyroid group you can join with countless people ready to help with your worries as they all have thyroid issues and there is sure to be someone on there that has the same problem as you and can point you in the right direction,They are all lovely people pulling together to try to help fellow sufferers.There are also people on there that can answer your blood results for you and tell you if they are ok.Hope this helps a bit it's awful when you don't know where to turn,I was undiagnosed for 9 years and have not got my medication sorted yet but am going to see an endocinologist next month.Please check out the Thyroid group on Facebook I am sure they will help you,there is a waiting list  to join the group but it does'nt take long 
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind reply.  I will certainly do that.  I read as much as possible about hypo but GPs seem determined to adhere to normal ranges.  Pity if you still have lots of symptoms.  Thank you again.
  • Posted

Hi Maureen. Do you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis?  If so you may need to have a lower TSH reading (more thyroxine).  It's been 7 years since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  I was on 75mcg for around 5 years and had a TSH that averaged .7 but I did not feel well and doctors wanted to decrease my meds thinking the TSH level was too low and that I would end up hyperthyroid. About 2 years ago I saw an endo who said I was suffering with hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune disease, not a thyroid disease (although hashi attacks the thyroid). Hashimotos tends to express itself in waves of hypo and hyper episodes depending on what the autoimmune system is doing!  Anyway, with Hashi the TSH is not that relevent, what matters is the free T4 levels and T3 levels.  TSH needs to be suppressed if thyroid problem is caused by hashi. Those who's thyroid problem comes from Hashi can acheive better health by having a TSH reading of 1 or below. I have Hashi and find I feel better with a TSH of .1 or .2. Just a thought. Maybe your not on enough thyroxine?  Your symptoms - weird feeling in throat and nausea where what got me to the endo.

Jen

• Posted

Thank you so much for the information.  I have never been told what exactly my problem is! I had quite a heated debate with my GP about this but didn't get anywhere. I felt that I needed to increase the dose from my symptoms but GP reduced my dose and I feel worse.  Have never been tested for antibodies but will be in 2 weeks - thank you.
    • Posted

So glad I could be of help maureen! It took me a long time to find out what exactly was wrong with my thyroid. Six months ago my doctor lowered my meds quite drastically, despite my telling her I felt fine, all because I was at 0.1 TSH. She took me into a bad place.  Another GP is now trying to get me back where I was and it will probably take me to the end of this year to feel better again. I don't know if you have heard of or read the book "Hope for Hashimoto's" by Dr Alexander Haskell, but if you do find you have Hashimoto's, and the endo I saw told me 99% of patients diagnosed hypothyroid are actually suffering with hashi! then the book is well worth getting hold of.  Best wishes to you maureen...

Jen

• Posted

It was a relief to read your post

It was a relief to read your post. I thought I was going mad! This throat/nausea thing is hard to deal with,  Feel as if I am going to gag,  Will post as soon as I have my blood results,  Thank you,  Very much appreciated,  Maureen

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, the bloods were a total waste of time.  TSH deemed in the normal range so therefore thyroid screen not done,  I have made an appointment with endocrinologist.  GP seemed clueless about concerns with my underlying heart prob.  Am worried that the dose is too low 125mcg to 50mcg.  Appt. on the 29 of July.  First I could get.  Kind regards
    • Posted

Hi Maureen!  Sorry not replied sooner, I was away on holiday. Sorry you had little joy, but unfortunately that's the way it seems to go Maureen. You are right in thinking  the way you do, GP's are notoriously "clueless" in the main regarding thyroid problems.  It's seems a miracle rather than the norm to find a good one who understands.  You are wise to get an appointment with an edocrinologist, it's another opinion, but don't be dissapointed if you don't get much from that quarter either, but don't give up! Can I ask what your TSH results were? Your dose should never have been reduced so drastically, it has to be a gradual process, if it is required. Get yourself as informed as you can so that you have ammunition when conversing with a medic.  On the whole most GP's do not want to be questioned on what they say (and believe) but it can also have the effect of making them sit up and listen if you appear to be knowledgeable on the subject of your thyroid's management.  Thinking of you and stay in touch...Jen
    • Posted

Hi there, than you for replying. TSH after having dose reduced to 50 mcg has gone from .75 to 4.35 after 5 weeks on low dose.  GP says it is still within normal range 0.35 - 5.5 and then clammed up. T4 T3 antibodies not done as TSH in normal range. I think she was relieved when I said I would make an Endo. appt. All I know is that I don't feel normal a lot of the tme. I am waiting results from Blue Horizon of TSH T4 T3 and antibodies.  My appt. with endocrinologist is Tuesday so I am hoping.  So many weird and wonderful symptoms - my palms and soles look like corned beef!  
  • Posted

That was a ridiculously low dose to go to.  It should have been lowered gradually and monitored regularly. 4.35 is outside of the now recommended (and rightly so) range considered normal. The range your GP refers to is out-dated.  Clearly this GP is not very up to date with current guidelines and not very knowledgeable on the subject at all. See what your endo has to say and make a list of questions you want answers to. Ask if he/she can have you tested for antibodies so as to rule out Hashimoto's autoimmune disease and have your Free T4 and Free T3 numbers checked.  I tried to get these tests done awhile back but was refused, so good luck to you. Best wishes Jen
    • Posted

My joints and muscles have been realy painful since the dose was decreased and this horrible "throat" feeling is worse.  I hope to have  Free T4 FreeT3  antibodies and of course TSH back on Monday.  I am really interested to see if the TSH has increased again.  Hope that I am not building myself up for a fall.  I am most concerned whether T3 is sufficient as already have stiff heart muscle .Don't want to start with atrial fibrillation again as not now on medication for this although have a pacemaker. Incredible that Its all a bit do it yourself isn't it?  Thanks again
  • Posted

Hi, Maureen!

​I came acrossed your post after doing a search for TSH .75, as these were my recent results.  Nearly 6 years ago I was having multiple symptoms of what was believed to be PCOS.  That diagnosis took about a year from a civilian HMO doctor.  Weight gain (despite exercising and eating right), Six months with no monthly lady time, and my hair was falling out in clumps. I suffer from extremely low vit d and iron, so I assumed this was a big part of the problem.  Noone believed I was losing hair because it was "still so thick!"   I had to keep pushing and complaining before I was given an ultrasound, showing the "string of pearls" on my ovaries and a referrel to a dermotologist.  Endocrinologist gave me Metformin and my GP told me to lose weight and the symptoms will go away.  But my research has shown that the weight is often due to the PCOS and not the other way around.  Symtoms eventually seemed to mellow out some two years later, and I thought my hormones were finally back to normal.  Now, I am thinking that I've wasted Years researching and obsessing over PCOS.  The VA hospital wont even do a full panel if TSH is within "normal" range.  Are there any natural remedies if I cant get what I need from my doctor? 

Sorry for the long story, but here are a few of my symptoms:

​Over 40% hair loss in 5yrs (diffuse thinning and clumps)

weight gain

Fatigue that comes and goes

​recurring rash on my neck (same spot most of the time)

​extreme brain fog. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.