Hypo / hashimoto

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi lovely people.. went back to doctor yesterday for blood test results. Says my thyroid levels have evened out.. but said obviously it being a hormone thing it could go up and down.. but what I want to know is that he wants to do more blood test s .. I told him my joints hurt and feel weak and he wants to test for rheumatoid factor and c_reactive protein!! Is that normal as the last thing I want is rheumatoid arthritis.. and test for antinuclear antibodies and autoantibodie screen.. are these both normal tests that doctor's undertake.. thanks in advance xx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Not too sure what you are asking. Nothing to lose by doing tests. They are used to rule things out too, ya know. The more info you have, the better. Most times here people are complaining because doctors WONT do tests 🤪.

• Posted

Hi dave.. i eas asking is it normal for doctors to do these tests or does he think there is something else wrong like hashimotos as i understand by whay ive read on here that it attacks the immune system. . X
  • Posted

I just had a bunch of blood work done too as I have just recently been diagnosed with under active thyroid.... I also have a lot of weakness and joint issues and my doctor just sent me for blood work, rheumatoid factor and c reactive plus some others.... he says rf is fine but c reactive is up some, as well my blood sugars are now elevated  and blood pressure is up....  this bothers me as I don't fully understand what is going on... I have had all kinds of ekg, ecg, cardiac blood work up , d dimmer tests done recently and everything came back normal.... all of this same blood work was normal last year in June and only because I was complaining all year about being so tired and not sleeping well etc, did doc realize that my thyroid had never been checked, which he did last fall and then rechecked in Feb and said that I need to be on meds....

.... ughhh and now this is all going on.... sad

• Posted

As I understand this you have a stable thyroid but you are still complaining of sore joints and feeling weak. So, your doctor is checking your rheumatoid factor and CRP (inflammation). He is also checking to see if you might have some autoimmune issues. All of which relate to the symptoms you told him. So far, your doctor sounds like he is doing the appropriate things.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply peter.. just wanted to make sure this normal procedure. . I was very firm with the doctor about how i was feeling so i probably scared him 😁😁 xx

• Posted

Hashimoto’s is the name given to the condition where the immune system attacks the thyroid. Most thyroid sufferers have this. Some of your other symptoms could be also caused by the immune system, but not necessarily. The antibody test is a test for Hashimoto’s.
    • Posted

Thank you dave.. im finding all this very confusing and appreciate as much information as possible. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Beverly,

I just read another post from someone else having the same tests as you! I too just recently had this test done when I went to the hospital because of knee pain and my crp was elevated but also my white blood cell count. My thyroid was off and in hypothyroid range. I have hashimotos but had a thyroidectomy 18 years ago. But you still have the auto immune disorder. Hashimotos is very common and almost everyone that has a thyroid problem has an auto immune disorder against their thyroid. It can wreak havoc on you system when it is flared up.

My pcp just recently rechecked my crp and other labs again and even though my knee isn't hurting it is still elevated. There are many causes stress and bacterial infections can raise that level as well as other things. If you clearly have pain somewhere then it is not at all uncommon for that marker to be elevated but it should go back down once the pain is gone unless it is a chronic thing. I am waiting to hear from my dr as to where we go from here since m I ne was still elevated and my knee pain is gone, it only dropped two points. I also went to see my endocrinologist and was told that since my calcium was off that it could be causing alot of my problems so we shall see if the increase in my meds helps bring my body back into normal functioning range.

• Posted

Thank you Melissa for your reply.. gosh what is normal these days.. have forgotten what that feels like lol..good luck with your tests..im still waiting for an appointment with the endocrinologist which could be months.. i dint have pain in a particular area just achey and weak when i get up.. keep us updated xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.