Hypo or Hyper?? Please help!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I am trying to find advice and opinions for my sister whom I believe is currently hypo. We both were diagnosed with graves disease and had the radiation treatment to destroy our thyroid gland, therefore becoming hypo. She takes Synthroid and received her lab results. Her tsh is 0.22 and her free t4 is at 1.9.... Is she hypo or hyper? her doctor honestly seems confused himself too! Any advice is apprecited.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Mini, depending on how long its been since the radiation treatment, the thyroid gland could be still adjusting. Looks like your sister us hypo, but the pituitary hasn’t quite adjusted yet. It takes s full three months for the body to adjust to thyroid medication. 

Looks like her TSH is low. But, her T4 is also low. Normally, when the thyroxin levels are low, the TSH spikes because the pituitary pumps out massive amounts of TSH to try snd increase the thyroid gland’s production of thyroxin. 

With the low T4, you would expect high TSH. So this is why your tesults are confusing.

However,  there are about a million other factors in thyroid function. When thyroid cells die off, they can release a lot of thyroxin, resulting in a temporary spike in levels. If she started her thyroid meds immediately, the meds would further suppress pituitaty production of TSH. Often when you first start meds or increase the dose, you get a drop in TSH until things level out. There’s about a three month lag time for the blood work to show what the meds are really doing.

It might be interesting to see her antibody levels.

I assume that prior to the radiation her TSH was extremely high?

There are a lot of factors involved in thyroid disease and treatment that we just don't understand. The labs don’t always give a full picture of what’s happening and aren’t fully reliable. So use the labs as a guideline, but really, the doc  should be doing a clinical exam and asking questions about how your sister is feeling to get a better sense if where she is, in combination with the labs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.