Hypochondria (Health Anxiety) looking for advice!

Posted , 6 users are following.

So, im 29 years old, for 3 months I have been on a self destruct pattern of negative thinking about my health...starting when I had a bad bacterial infection...even thought i was diagosed with this, I still GOOGLED my symptoms...a big no no....since, I have gone from colon to stomach cancer to Hepatitis C to who knows what.

I had blood tests, Ultrasound and Endoscopy, all in the past 3 months that all came back clear of ANYTHING...not even the smalles thing happeing in my stomach.

Basically, I spend most days focused on how I am feeling, more how my stomach is feeling...now I have IBS anyway....so most days in the past 3 months, I have an upset stomach, have pains in my stomach, have nausea.....without a medical explanation other than IBS.

I need advice from anyone suffering from anxiety or Hypochondria (a very real mental illness that I know I have) about there symptoms, if anyone has the continued stomach pains and upsets that I have? Even when I am not thinking about something negative and trying to be positive, the symptoms can come one from no where and all of a sudden, everything I do to beat this goes away and the negative.."what if this time its something" thoughts come flooding back in.

Anyone have any advice, anything just to keep me going in this figth to recover?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Its all common with anxiety, the first thing that happens to me is an upset tummy, and it takes ages to settle, is called anxiety induced IBS, the more you relax and try and get on with things the more it will dissipate, maybe not completeley, as I think anxiety is always lurking, we just have to find our own coping mechanism's, and TRY to Del with it .
    • Posted

Yeah, my doctor said anxiety will trigger IBS symptoms just like food does....so if I am in a state of self awareness where I am thinking about being positive, thinking about being healthy thinking aboiut these things....then it triggers stomach issues....basic thinking but when they come one and it triggers my hypochondriac state where everything becomes deadly and severe....its a vicious circle...
  • Posted

The only way forward is to deal with the root anxiety that is causing the health anxiety. Dealing with the health anxiety itself will never work as its a symptom of anxiety in general. Without anxiety there is no health anxiety
    • Posted

My anxiety only started after I got ill....it came in waves and since has not gone, although I am doing Tai Chi, exercising, eating healthy, taking care of myself and being positive....I have no idea about what is causing my general anxiety....but my stomach problems and health problems, if they are all anxiety related as it seems as I only had my endoscopy 2 weeks ago that confirmed there was nothing wrong with my stomach....then I need to confront those feelings
    • Posted

It does sound like anxiety to me, I'm the same I had a breast scare last year and I can't even describe the amount of symptoms I had, I didn't even know I suffered with health,anxiety until then, but it sounds like your doing good, and you've had the tests so move forward, address what makes you feel this way and learn from it and recognize it so if it does happen again you can rationalize and say OK this is anxiety or seek help if you think not.
    • Posted

Yeah I am trying to do well, its frustrating because as we all know, recovering from anxiety and learning to deal with anxiety takes time, a lot of time....and patience....so of course, 1st thing is to accept it is anxiety..which is what I am trying to do on a daily basis.....I have no interest in going back to doctors for further tests...I have to trust the doctors and understand that they had no reason or worry that this is anything....but I need to understand that I have these symptoms and will have then from time to time.. just because i know I have anxiety and know its hypchondria, doesnt mean I wont get the symptoms still

• Posted

No it doesn't, but at least you can say hey its anxiety that can't kill me, try and deal with and find ways to deal with it, it will come and go of course and no its not easy I struggle still, but we have to find ways to get through, else its a down ward spiral I guess.
  • Posted

I have been suffering from this for the last 18 months, it peaked in august/ september when i had a breakdown and was triggered by a very sudden hospital drama and surgery. It is now called health anxiety but is essentially the same as hypocondria and   My recovery started when i had therapy and medication combined. I didn't watch the news for months or any hospital programs and became obsessed with death and illness, mine, my parents, my kids etc. you need to ask for support from whoever will help and focus on the tiniest positive in every day and find what works for you...Some people  exercise, some go to church, do meditation etc but its all about finding what works for you.
    • Posted

I do have some support, not a lot but some...and I am working on doing meditation, Tai Chi, positive thinking and living life....in time,...I know I will be ok because it will all pass once I continue what it is I am doing....but the most worrying is the stomach issues....even though I have had tests, including the latest 2 weeks ago, an endoscopy...which showed nothing wrong at all with my stomach.....I still let it cause me fear and worry...did you have issues with daily stomach problems or stomach upsets every few days and nausea etc?
  • Posted

I have had IBS since my 20's and i'm 46 now. I also suffered with unexplained vomiting when i was 21 for 6 months which started suddenly and ended suddenly. I had every test possible at the time and nothing could explain it but no body has ever explained to me over the years about the fact i have anxiety and these symptoms are just caused by that. Until i started CBT last summer and my therapist explained how the body reacts to stress i now understand it and i know that if my body is giving me all these signs i need to look at my stress levels and not just worry that i am missing a serious illness because the worry will make it worse! I'm slowly learning that worrying about these things wont change what is going to happen, it will only make my days miserable, so although an inconvenience when my tummy plays up, its a sign that i need to take action with my stress levels or do some extra meditation or go for a long walk to chill out
  • Posted

Hello. First let me tell you how sorry I am for you and I can completely sympathise with you on HA.

I have always been a hit of a hypochondriac, however I would always be fine when I found out everything was okay.

Like you I am 29 years old and for the past 3 months as well I have been having weird pains/feelings in my neck and on the front of my throat and a weird on/off again pressure in the left side of my head and neck. I was in the docs every other week and all they would say was that my bloods were ok and I didn't need an MRI and that it was just my anxiety. Finally, after 3 mos I had my ultrasound today of my neck and it turns out I have thyroiditis. I am now terrified that I will have cancer, but I know that it is actually a problem that is easily fixed and treatable. Hopefully, it will now get sorted.

In your case, I believe your issue is strictly anxiety related, especially since your bloods and US etc were all fine. They would have surely found something already with all of those tests. You just have to remember you're young and the likelihood of you having something more serious is very slim. I have had IBM for years, but when I finally became comfortable with myself and married my husband, that seemed to just go on it's own, as will yours. You just have to remember to train your mind and stay off of Google, bc according to Google, we all have brain tumors, cancer, and everything else under the sun. Google is not a doctor. Just tell yourself when you feel something g is wrong, "why would it be the worst thing out there, what's the chances I actually have a cancer?" You'll feel better when you an go over those. Just remember, you're not alone. Best of luck!

• Posted

hi kristen, thanks for your comment...it reassures me more and more that I am healthy, because doctors know best, they gave me nothing but a clean bill of health, even to the point when she laughed and said 'you see, not cancer as I already said' symptoms are nothing to be concerned about....'

so I have to move forward understanding that these discomforts are IBS and anxiety....and I am my own worst enemy because I already know it....believe it....I just need to retrain my mind to focus on the moment in front of me and enjoy those moments...and also focus on continuing to be healthy to avoid future problems and safeguard my future....really appreciate your time and commentssmile

• Posted

Hey man! I know the feels. Got all this and WAY more and I'm only 17 just keep kicking. You got this man! WE ARE STRONG.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.