Hypoglycemia and rage?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I've had this anomaly for years, at least since I was a teenager (I'm now 29).

On my work days I get up at 6am to start work at 7am. I don't bother with breakfast normally partially because if I'm honest because I don't have time and can't be bothered..but also for another reason which I'll go into later. The only thing I have before work is a cup of sweet tea. I work in a factory doing a very physical job and almost everyday within an hour or so I suddenly become very angry..like ridiculously angry going over stuff in my head things that have recently annoyed me and even dwelling on things from years ago that have annoyed me which is ridiculous. This little fit of random rage lasts usually about an hour or at least till my first break at work when I sit down and having something to eat (usually a bag of crisps) and then the transformation is miraculous. The anger just disappears like it was never there or like it was a different person and I can't believe I got so tensed up and agitated by stupid stuff for no reason. It can, though not as often, happen after my dinner break. I only get 30mins so it's usually a quick couple of sandwiches but sometimes instead of rage I can become extremely sluggish to the point I almost feel drunk or like I'm gunna fall asleep standing up. People at work even comment and laugh that I look exhausted and like a zombie (this is also the reason I usually skip breakfast as that can sometimes cause me to crash and feel exhausted just as I'm getting to work and just starting to wake up) I don't have diabetes. But I've heard hypoglycemia can cause similar feelings of both anger and irritability as well as drowsiness. Please can someone help or can any diabetic relate to these symptoms if they become hypoglycemia. I dunno what to do and it's making me miserable. Oddly enough this rarely ever happens when I'm not at work.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Stuart, it's pretty easy to check, if you can buy or borrow or promote a free blood glucose meter.  You can teste your blood glucose at all these times of day, and then we'll all know better.  I think you are smart to ask.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Stuart.

I'm guessing your type 2.?

I'm type 1 but the things that you are describing are very similar to when I I go mildly hypo. I get very fractious and short tempered. Everyone is getting my back up but I don't have the inclnation to deal. Or I'm too high, not enough energy

Go to ur Dr.

• Posted

Mate you need to eat breakfast,most importantly because your diabetic.Your night time insulin still runs in the background so your blood sugars will be lowering.A cup of sweet tea is no good.It doesn’t matter what kind of job you do get up half hour earlier have cereal or toast and a banana.Your cup of tea without the sugar preferably sort out your morning insulin regime.Diabetics do get angry like other people but if your not eating thats where your anger comes from,maybe not the long term cause but definitely the reason in the morning.Yes anger,confusion etc are symptoms of hypoglycaemia,give it a try up a bit earlier eat your breakfast ill bet you notice a change in your mood good luck ...
  • Posted

Yea, have breakfast, a breakfast drink would work till you get used to fixing breakfast, just don't go with a high protein drink, not good for the kidneys. Ask the people that drank the crap out of them and now have CKD ,ask them how well that worked for them.

Did you say you ARE a diabetic? 

There are meters for like $15.00 , you should buy one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.