Hypoglycemia and testing

Posted , 5 users are following.

i am scheduled for a colonoscopy and am hypoglycemic. is there anyone who has this problem been able to do the crazy 24 hour no solid food thing? i am stressed so bad thinking i am not going to be able to do this. if i could live on apple juice and broth i think it would be easy. i can do 8 hours, have done 12. but 24 seems impossible. i didnt get to actually see my gastro. i seen one of his assistants. she seemed to think juice and broth would work. think shes full of sh...... i cant be the only one with this problem whos had a colonoscopy.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I found this answer in the Hypoglycemia Support Foundation site:

I can only share with you what has helped me and so many others.

Preferably make a pot of homemade chicken soup the day before you have to fast. Remove all the solids from the soup leaving just the broth. If you can’t, purchase it fresh locally. As a last resort, get it from your local super market in a box, not a can. On the day of the fast, sip the chicken broth throughout the day. Rest as much as possible, sleep if you can and stay calm and positive. Do what works for you…read a book, watch TV and meditate…anything that doesn’t add stress. The day of the test, bring a snack with you, such as peanuts or whole grain crackers with cheese, that you can eat immediately after the procedure. –Roberta Ruggiero

Posted in: FAQs

• Posted

I have diabetes and have had 5 colonoscopies over the years. I have never had any issues at all. That said, I was told that if I had a hypoglycemic problem (I very rarely do) on the day before or on the day of the procedure, I should take some non colored glucose tablets. They will definitely test your BG before the procedure.

• Posted

Are you allowed milk products, or one of those nutrition drinks like Glucerna?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.