Hypomania during withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello...has anyone else experienced this during withdrawal?? I feel like i've had a lot of coffee...in a good mood, excited about life...i'm worried i will come crashing down.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been slowly coming off of Effexor for 3 months it is a roller coaster ride. I took my last dose last Friday. My husband has been at my side and thank god my co worker understands too. This Harvard study pretty much sums it up. I hope it helps. I have had some pretty scary days after my last dose.

I hope this helps and if the bad thoughts come out , have someone you can count on that understands! AND remember it's the withdrawls of the drug NOT you! The drug companies and the drs that prescribe  these drugs should go on them and try to get off them themselves.

Keep up the good work. The feelings probably wont go away completely until we've been free of the drug for a while and everyone is different.

Very sincerely,

Nancy

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_Watch/2010/November/going-off-antidepressants

• Posted

Thanks so much Nancy...and well done for coming off the drug smile The article was so helpful...i particularly liked this part of it which explained the need to distinguish between discontinuation symptoms and a relapse:

"Discontinuation symptoms emerge within days to weeks of stopping the medication or lowering the dose, whereas relapse symptoms develop later and more gradually."

I think that's the key thing to remember...they occur because your brain is withdrawing...not because you're getting depressed again or have developed mania in the sense that it will not resolve as your brain chemistry gets used to the lower dose/eventual absence of the drug.

Take care and thanks again,

Lucy

• Posted

Hello I withdrew from 150mg Effexor last year over a 10 month period and did not have any withdrawal symptoms.  I agree with the above.  Before when I have stopped an anti depressant the depression has returned in a 3 to 6 month period.  This time it is over a year. 

Earlier this year I had tummy trouble and nausea but was not sure if it was due to withdrawing from the drug as it was months after.  I lost a lot of weight, and had a scan, but all was clear.  I have been getting anxious and a bit low lately, so what you are saying is that this could be depression returning. 

Withdrawals would start within a few weeks, so why did I begin to feel poorly 7 months afyter with tummy problems.  Perhaps they are not related.  Anyhow the tummy problem cleared up on its own.  Am I in a relapse?

• Posted

WOHOO!!

Yeah had the initial inertia, I surmise that my body was producing much more happy chemicals to get thru the VF. I described it as party music stops and everyone is still shouting. Still having a few over the top issues.

Had a few blank moments, but have some sleep deprivation happening at the moment - possibly unrelated.

SERIOUS - Lockup anything valuable, and get a punching bag / old sofa to attack.

I didn't come crasing down, but there is a lot of undirected energy happening.

I'm thinking Harry Potter's example of the wand choice in HP1.

I'm still here alive after 5 weeks.

I actually put on weight as I enjoy food more than before, but I've leveled out at +4 kg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.