Hypomobility...Ankle Joint

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 53, have managed my Hypomobility well during my younger years, but the last fifteen years have seen my ankles weaken, to the point where I have twisted them over dozens of times, leading to damaged ligaments and severe Arthritis in both. 

I have always danced and kept fit this way.

I have little movement in them now, so have been advised by my GP to have them fused.

What is the recovery time for having just one done?

Would I be left with a limp?

Would I be able to go for country walks as I manage those now, using Ankle splints.

Your experience and advice is most welcome please!!

Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

I had a ligament reconstruction operation in June 15. You will have a pretty rubbish 6/9 months ( gentle walking after 5/6 months) 

i am sure you will recover but you will have to be prepared to sit back and put your foot up for a long while. 

Also you will have to get support socks and good shoes/boots . They will help a lot .

i hope that helps (?)

• Posted

Thankyou for your advice, I shall certainly take this on board, good luck with yours.
    • Posted

Thankyou for your feedback and advice, I will have to be patient x
  • Posted

Hi Emmie,

If you can find a good surgeon, I would go for a TAR.

I had one 13th Feb 15 and now am walking pain free and can manage upwards of 2 miles (if I had to).

It is a long recovery, but I was walking the half mile from Kings X to London Welsh Centre after 4 months.

There have been good and not so good times but now I feel the possibility of going for a country walk when the weather brightens.

I am 68 and had a bimaleolar break in '85.  It was ok (ran with a limp) till 2010 when the pain ramped up as the cartilage wore away.

Off to yoga tonight where my downward dog is almost normal and certainly more movement than pre-op....and I am doing 'tree pose' on the recovering ankle.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Paul

• Posted

Thankyou for your advice and feedback, not looking forward to the surgery but have little choice x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.