Hypopituitarism and Potassium citrate

Posted , 2 users are following.

I read somewhere that a person with addisone disease should not take potassium citrate. So is it the case for me that I have hypopituitarism ? From the time I took potassium citrate in recent months I periodically have problems with my heart . I checked it with my doctor and it is ok.

I recently had cortisol 0.6 that is very

low and got new hydrocortisone pills . for two weeks I was good but my heart problem and fatigue started again. I blame potassium citrate for this. could it be the problem?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

No experience to go on (I also have hypo-p) but not KC. A cruise around medical pages on the net just says that KC is associated with reduced natural production of cortisol. But, with your P on strike you don't produce any naturally anyway so who cares? Your daily HC dosage is doing the job.

So, unless you are overdosing, maybe you need to look elsewhere. But that is 'on average', your body may differ. If you can stop taking the KC for a short while to see what happens, it may be worth a try. You can get potassium from white beans and bananas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.