Hyporthyroid Really fed up and need some advice!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 29 years old and male. I have been diagnosed with Hypothyroid a few months ago and have been suffering with balance problems and pressure in my neck in the pressure points at the back of the head. I am also absolutely exhausted, barely being able to get out of bed. I am on 25mg of levothyroxine, but seem to be getting worse. I feel at the moment that I haven't got much longer left and really cant go on like this.

Does anyone else feel like this, and what have they done about it

Please help

Thanks Graeme

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes Graeme, there a lot of people that feel like this, including me! Do you know what your tsh levels were when diagnosed as having hypothyroidism, maybe your dose of levothyroxine is too low? How long did you go feeling unwell before you were diagnosed? I myself was 2 years and when I sarted my medication it took at least 6 months before I started feeling myself again. Levothyroxine is a type of drug that takes a while to build up in the body and make a difference. I know its been a few months, but give it a chance and if you still don't feel well, go back to your dr, get more blood tests done and see whats going on! Don't change the dose yourself, always consult a dr first! Hope this helps!
  • Posted

Hello Graeme

I was diagnosed with hypothroidism about 8 years ago. Although considerably older than you I also felt completely exhausted and also depressed with it. I think I started on 50mg and up to last November it had been increased over this time to 75mg. Generally I felt well and was able to lead a normal life but I can't remember now how long the levothyroxine took to kick in.

I have for the past year or so felt unwell with headaches, tingling/numbness in the feet which I don't recall being there before.On a routine test last November my dose was increased to 100mg but I didn't feel any better. When I was re-tested in February my results were worse than the test in November, although I had been on an increased dose. I have been on on 150mg since February and nothing has changed. I have now been tested for B12 deficiency, which is apparently fairly common in hypothyroid patients but as yet I haven't had the results.

Your mention of balance problems also rang a chord with me, as occasionally I feel as if I have had one over the eight but it isn't present all the while. I feel seriously cheesed off and extremely impatient for answers, it all seems to take so long when all you want is a quick fix.

I would be inclined to re-visit your doctor if nothing improves and highlight all the symptoms you have.

Keep your chin up and I hope all goes well.

• Posted

For goodness sake, all of you, please read Dr Barry Peatfield's books and consult him.

I have been under his supervision for a couple of years and though I am by no means perfect, I feel welland active and fit, although I am still taking thyroxine. You can also contact him, although I don't suppose he can deal with everyone! He usually gives one consultation and then you can phone him free of charge and if necessary have another, cheaper consultation. Read his books!

• Posted

Hi Guys

Thank you for your replies.

A quick update. I have been to the Docs again and my TSH is now 2.9 which is normal. It was previously 10.69. The worrying thing is my symptoms are still the same. I am now on 50mg thyroxine and my GP says I have autoimmune disease which is off the scale. Now what I need to know is can you still have symptoms when your TSH is at normal level. I have really had enough, not sure how long I can go on like this. :-(

• Posted

Hi,

2.9 is just normal the recommended range is 3.0 down to 0.35. You might need a slight ncrease in dosage and as pointed out above if you have been un diagnosed for a long time ( I was about 8 years) your body can get very messed up - muscle atrophy, stiffness and poor flexibility

Sounds like a cliche, but maybe you need to take a look at some exercise and get your blood flowing again

Hope you feel better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.