Hypothyroid

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am hypothyroid and have been on meds for many years. I am backwards with alot of medication and medical things. I am 5'6" and about 140 if I eat constantly all day. When I wake up in the morning I am back down about 5-6 lbs and start eating my 4300 calories for the day. I am comfortable with 140 because my joints don't hurt. Still a size 6.

I have gone in for a fine needle biopsy which the results were herthule cells. The doctor is considering removing my thyroid. I don't want it gone. I hear to many horror stories about huge weight gain. My biggest fear is because my body reacts opposite of normal people, what is going to do when they take it? Examples: I have a liver of a alcoholic but don't drink, benydral wires me with so much energy, muscle relaxers make me extremely aggressive, non drowsy medication knocks me out. I am seriously freaking out because once they take it there is no putting it back.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi tammy43289, it would be good to talk to your doctor and find out more details regarding your diagnosis and treatment options (or maybe get a second opinion from a surgeon or radiosurgeon). 

If you actually have a Hürthle cell carcinoma then there might be no option other than removing the nodule. You could ask if a partial thyroidectomy or radiotherapy is advisable. For more information regarding Hürthle cell carcinomas see here: https://patient.info/doctor/thyroid-cancer-pro

You mentioned that you were hypothyroid for many years. Are you on thyroxine replacement therapy? 

• Posted

they say numerous Hurthle cell neoplasm.  I have been on synthyroid for many years with no real issues.    The Dr has sent the files to a Ear, nose and throat Dr today to read all the results to get his opinion.  I just want to be ahead of the game and know my options that they may not inform me of

• Posted

Hi Tammy,

I too have adverse reactions as you do to medications. I had my thyroid removed 18 years ago and first was on levoxyl till they changed manufacturers and I had a reaction but now on tirosint. My body absorbs it better since it doesn't have to combat the allergens. It is worth having the surgery to remove the cancer and is a lifestyle change to adjust and get your levels where you feel the best after surgery. But it is better then having cancer any day. Just make sure the surgeon has done alot of thyroid surgeries.

• Posted

thank you Melissa,  

I just have been being dragged into all these tests and my primary doctor is a general practitioner and really hasn't given me straight answers, not does he act like he knows how to read the results from any of my tests. The nurse from my primary doctor called me Friday and said I needed to call Dr Martin which is a ear, nose and throat dr to schedule surgery.  Well I dont even know what the results are or have I ever talked to this dr.  Just think they are jumping the gun when I want to hear other options or what all my results said in english and not dr lingo. 

• Posted

Saw the surgeon just to get some real information.  He explained the chances are 30% for cancer and the only recommendation he has is to get it out.  He gave me 2 months to make a list of questions and to have my answer.  He explained the surgery and said that the incision will be from left neck muscle to right muscle, overnight stay and minimum 10 days off work.  I am doing alot of research to make my list of questions for him.  First one being, why such a big incision? My sisters was maybe 2 inches.  Do you think it is because of the size of my thyroid?  If it does come back as cancer how is my body going to react to the radioactive iodine therapy knowing I have adverse reactions? Can the cancer come back ever?  What are the pros/cons of just leaving my thyroid alone?  Will it continue to grow?  OMG so many questions and  I am just at a loss what I should do.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.