Hypothyroid and Change of Weather

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all, My name is J and I have been deal or living with Hypothyroidism for now well over 18 years. I take Levothyroxine 200mcg every day and 25mcg every other day. As my TSH seems to be in the normal range with this combo.

Wanted to check with the community to see if anyone experiences the same symptoms as me when the weather changes. I live in NYC and spring is probably the worst time of year for me. The weather constantly changing from cold to hot and hot to cold wreaks havoc on my body.

Feel like my digestion is stalled, I awake in the morning at 5:30am for the slightest noise. And then my body can't go back to sleep. I feel nauseous especially on the cold mornings. I get pins and needles feeling in my arms and hands. My sinus will be killing me. Because of my stalled digestion, I get bad acid reflux. And seems like it takes my stomach forever to digestion anything. I've experience this in most years during the spring times. Then we move into the late spring and summer and everything seems to just go away.

I go to the doctor and yet am told that my TSH is in normal range and kind that nothing can be done.

Has anyone experience these symptoms with change of weather with Hypothyroidism? Is there anything I can do to help with these, or should I reach out to a Endo for help?

I seriously and my wits end, I think I have everything and have to avoid WebMD because it just gives me anxiety. Are these really Hypothyroid symptoms? Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

J

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have also been through a hell of a mess dealing with hypothyroidism and it took me a long time to figure it out. Based on what you said there are more than a few things that are very worrying here. First of all it sounds like your doctor only checks your TSH. I would say that that is a dated approach. If you are still having problems with your thyroid, which it sounds like you are, I would be adamant about getting TSH, T4, T3 free/total, and reverse T3 checked. Your medication is a very large amount of T4 which may get your TSH in range, but that does not mean your body is getting enough active thyroid hormone. To me it sounds like you are still hypo-thyroidal. When I was hypo-thyroidal I also had very slow digestion and abdominal bloating and poor sleep. To me that part of the seasonal issues seems to be an issue with temperature regulation which is another symptom of hypothyroidism. You say you get nausea on cold mornings which I can only think of as a sign of hypothermia. I also sometimes got pins and needles from hypothyroidism which I found was caused by edema, where fluid was pushing on the nerves. You also mention your sinuses and symptoms being their worst during early spring. It is possible that if you have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism (the most common cause of hypothyroidism) that spring allergies may be causing it to flair up. I do not get spring allergies but other allergens will cause flair ups for me, and they will cause severe hypothyroidism despite medication.

If it were me I would spend my time finding a good doctor that specializes in this. I am sorry a lot of this is only speculation, but based on what you said I think there is still a lot that can be done. I hope I was able to help and I wish you well in finding proper treatment.

• Posted

Light sleeping is the worst kind of sleeping. Most of my family suffer from it. Its best to work on brain exercise a couple of hours before bedtime and heat the bedroom. Yoga helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.