Hypothyroid and Pregnancy - advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid back in June 2013 not long afer I had my first miscarriage at 9.5 weeks.  I have just miscarried again at 12 weeks and I can't help but feel that my condition is the cause.  I have read so many reports that your tsh levels need to be 2 in order to conceive - mine have been alot higher and I have still managed.  Does this mean my pregnancy is doomed from the start?  My meds have recently been put up to 100mg of levothyroxine.  My levels have never been steady - my tsh varies from 4.45, 3.06, 5.25, 8.15.  The other problem is that my pituatary gland isn't responding to the thyroxine and is still asking for more.  I want to know what I can do to ensure I have the best possible chance for a healthy pregnancy next time.  Can any of you please offer me any advice? 

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Harley

I found I needed a lot more thyroxine when I was pregnant. I could judge my thyroid levels by monitoring my pulse after I had been lying down at night for at least half an hour. My normal resting pulse was 60. If it was less than this I needed more thyroxine. I increased it by quarter of a 25mcg tablet every 2-3 days (this course of action was agreed by my doctor - but we had been managing my thyroid this way for several years).

However it may be that the miscarriages are unrelated to thyroid. The uk daily mail site has an article (number 2692055) that might be of use. I know someone who had 3 miscarriages then her doctors tried this and 'baby aspirin' (i think this was just a low dose) and the next baby was born at term. Doctors only seem to take action once 3 miscarriages have occurred.

Good luck if you try again.

• Posted

I spoke to my endocrinologist before trying to conceive and he advised me to make appt to see him as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I was already hypothyroid and had been told by a gp that I didn't need my thyroid checking if pregnant only to be told by consultant that this was not true! Luckily I found out quite early that I was pregnant and went to clinic with a set of blood results before my 12 week appointment. I had to have my thyroxine increased during both pregnancies at about 12 weeks. I was basically told that your body needs more thyroxine during pregnancy and a normal body just accommodates that but if your thyroid is not working properly then you need an increase in medication. Thyroid problems can cause fertility problems and miscarriage as thyroid hormones are closely linked with sex hormones. I had depoprovera injections before I was diagnosed and thought It was these that stopped my periods but it was really due to my thyroid deciding to pack up. Keep on pushing to get to see the endocrinologist. I have been told so much rubbish by drs  because they don't know enough about thyroid problems. I always trust what my consultant says so make sure you get seen. You deserve to be treated properly and have a  chance of a healthy pregnancy . Don't be fobbed off. It may be an idea to look at the NICE guidelines on management of thyroid disease so you know what they should be doing. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.