Hypothyroid because of Hashimoto's. On Sy nthroid for many years but I still have all the symptoms!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease 14 years ago and have been on Synthroid ever since. I have annual checkups and had one in July. 

I was just watching a dr. show on tv. They were discussing thyroid issues and listed all the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I have every single smptom on the list, even though my endocrinologist keeps telling me my levels are ok. Is this possible?? Does Synthroid somehow regulate the thyroid but NOT help the symptoms?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Erica:

My name is Shelly and I am an RN (Nurse) in the USA.  I also have Hashimoto's since 1987 and I am 54.

I was on Synthroid (Levothyroixine is the generic name), for years and none of my symptoms got better.  After trying different thyroid meds, it was diagnosed that I can't convert T4 which is what Synthroid is.  I am now on Liothyronine  (Cytomel brand name), and many of the bad symptoms went away.

See the idea is Sythroid (LEVO) is to convert in your Thyroid Gland into useable T3 that provides energy for the body.

So you need to ask your doctor to do a TSH test , T4 level T3 level and reverse T3 level. There are a few more tests also, ferritin level and B-12 and Vit D. By law you can get a copy of your medical and lab reports.  You may want to get a copy and post your TSH, T3 and T4 levels so we can see how your blood is.

Many of us with thyroid problems have low Vit D and B-12 levels.  So ask the doctor to do these tests.  Bad symptoms are: weight gain, muscle aches, low energy, being tired, nails that are brittle and hair loss, bruising, depression.  There are more these are common.

Some of us have the problem of being able to convert T4 Synthroid in our bodies.

Normally, the gland takes up the medication and converts it.  Hashimoto's disease causes damage to the gland and maybe you are like me in that area.  Also there is another thyroid medication called NDT Natural dessicated thyroid), or Armour thyroid and it is made from a pig's gland and it is very close to a humans gland.

You can ask your doctor to give you that if you are in the USA.  If you are in the UK, you may have to get it online.

Any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Thanj you Shelley, for taking the time to answer. I'm in Canada. I have many of the bad symptoms you mentiones, along with lack of concentration, firgetfullness, very dry skin and so on. I will call the dr on MOnday and see if I can get an appointment soon (Not that easy here!). Do you mean that it may just be a matter of changing to another type of medication to resolve my symptoms?  I certainly hope so. It's hard to live like this and people just look at me like I'm lazy because they don't believe I can be THAT tired all the time. 

• Posted

Hello Erica:

Yes, there are different thyroid meds. There is Thyrolar, NDT, Armour Thyroid  &  Thyroid S,  Cytomel,Levo.   So try a different  one.

Shelly

• Posted

There is also an Rx called Westhroid and Naturethroid which are also.NDT or Natural Dessicated Thyroid.  
    • Posted

Info if you have allergies and intolerances: Westhroid-P (also known as WP Throid) doesn't have fillers, NatureThroid and the others do. Confirm by looking at well known thyroid site starting with 'stop the'
    • Posted

Hello Terry:

Thanks for the post.  I forgot a few. 

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.