Hypothyroid dark circles and eyebags

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have hypothyroidism for a over a year now. I was on Levothyroxine but it was making me feel more exhausted and unwell so after discussing with my doctor i stopped taking them.

I now take a lot of vitmamins, i dont eat any gluten products or meat and i eat very organic now and my energy levels are much better. I can last the whole day now without feeling exhausted and drained.

The only annoying thing is over the past 6 months ive developed some nasty dark circles and eye bags. Ive read this is due to my thyroid. I sleep between 8-10 hours per night so i know its not due to be not getting enough rest. Eventhough my energy levels are good my eyes can feel very puffy and tired.

Is there anything i can take or do to get rid of them? its not nice catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror and seeing them, they look awful and i hate the tired puffy feeling.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. Was you on a higher dose of levothyroxine or lower? The only thing I know of is if your symptoms of hypo are mild or few then a low dose, 50mcg, would be an option to try. But if even that dose makes you fatigue and feel worse, then you'd not want to do that obviously. If that isn't an option, I don't know if anything else, personally. Someone else might though! 🙂

Best of luck,

Deb

• Posted

Hi Charlie, do you have any blood test results to post? There are a lot of people on here who can offer good advice. The puffiness and dark circles are classic hypothyroid symptoms, and the only advice I can offer you is to eat well, avoid alcohol, rest and use a good moisturiser to help prevent the skin stretching badly. My eyes are very hooded now, my optician said the only option to improve this is surgery😳.

• Posted

Oh Honey, if all you've got are bags under your eyes, you're doing amazing!

Hypothyroid patients will often exhibit deepset eyes. Hyperthyroid patients tend to bulging eyes due to an increased buildup of tissue behind the eyes. So you can see how the eyes can be a piece of the puzzle and an indicator for thyroid disease. Just something to keep in mind, as a barometer of your thyroid  health.

I also went went off thyroid meds. They were killing me. Ive done all the diet stuff, typical herbs and supplements. I've gotten relief from mulberry leaf derived liquid chlorophyll and high doses of essential amino acids. I'd be delighted to hear what other natural methods you've used to get yourself back to normal!

While I was on the meds and following stopping, my eyes also have looked really horrible. They seem to have improved recently. Not sure which of the mix of herbs helps, but I suspect it's the turmeric/curcumin, as I've been taking tons lately. 

• Posted

Hi. I would love to be off my meds .. other then diet (which I'm doing) how else are you treating your hypothyroidism? I'm only on 50mcg and I'm having no probs on it but I'd love to be able to get off it. I'm secondary hypo. I've been told and read to nkt treat my can cause lots of problems so I've been following docs orders with the low dose. Any tips you can share would be wonderful!

• Posted

Hi. ive only been off the meds for a couple of months, but i now take daily vitamins such as iron, magnesium, vitamin D3, vitamin B12, ive cut out all gluten products, meat, dairy. im basically on a vegan diet now as i was having very bad abdominal pain, bloating and constipation after eating. If however i dont follow this diet and eat something containing dairy or gluten it really messes me up. I read with hypo problems its best to go gluten free and i think it really helps.

My energy levels are much better now and my stomach problems are better too. However I do seem to get a flareup of symptoms before my period such as foggy headed, fatigue, constipation, abdominal pain and bloating.

Im still having trouble with feeling cold but it was the fatigue and stomach problems that were causing most problems.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

HI!  Can you send me the specific types of amino acids you take?  Or the name of the brand.  I'm in Canada so not sure if I can get it but would definitely like to try amino acids.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Mtviewcatherine, what were the amino acids?? I was diagnosed a few months ago with hypothyroidism and I’m not taking any medications. I’m on some supplements, however I’ve certainly not got it under control.  Looking for some ideas on supplements that may assist. I’m also Coeliac.

• Posted

I have been on Levo for 6 mos now and am still tired, and eyes are puffy as well...not sure what to do.
    • Posted

Yes, Madski, I appears that for many people this medication does not resolve hypothyroid symptoms.
  • Posted

I actually heard hemorroid cream works miricles!  Here's an article I copied with instructions for you.....

Hemorrhoid cream is a very good way to treat dark circles under the eyes, It often contains components that are very good for the skin, such as yeast or liver oil, and can help reduce puffiness while restoring natural color to your face.   Wash and dry your face thoroughly, getting rid of any dirt or excess moisture in the process. The easiest time to do this is right after you have emerged from the shower but before getting dressed or applying any makeup to your face.

Dab a little hemorrhoid cream onto the pad of your middle or ring finger. You don’t need a whole lot–just a pea-sized amount for each eye should be enough to cover every part of the dark circles. Use the middle or ring finger, because these fingers make it easier to treat the area without applying too much pressure the way you might with your index finger.

Rub the cream very gently around in the dark circles until it has been totally absorbed into the skin. Use soft but thorough strokes, and make sure you don’t scratch or irritate any part of the dark circles with your nails. If you do this right before bedtime, you may wish to wear a beauty mask to ensure that none of it rubs off during the night.

Repeat the process twice each day, in the morning and before bed. Check the instructions on the hemorrhoid cream to make sure you don’t over-apply it, but otherwise, you should treat the dark circles every day to achieve the best results.

Examine the results in the mirror each day to see if they are diminishing. As with other uses for hemorrhoid cream, it often takes a few days for the effects on the dark circles to be seen, but you should see significant signs of improvement within a week or so.

• Posted

The product dermalmd's is very effective and I love the results. I can see visible difference under my eyes. Will surely recommend dermalmd's eye treatment to others.It is not sticky, it disappears instantly. Your eyes will feel freshness once you have applied this.Works good.

• Posted

I've had a problem with dark circles and puffy eyes for years due to long hours at work. I seen dermalmd under eye treatment serum and decided to give it a try. I am very happy with my results after using for a couple of weeks. Easy to apply and doesn't leave your skin feeling greasy.

• Posted

I would also like to add that I heard sleeping with your head elevated will help with dark circles and puffiness because then the blood won't pull under your eye's.  I think it helps greatly...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.