Hypothyroid medication change?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I am very new to this diagnosis however suspect it was going on much longer than I realized. I would have "down" week/months and would go to the doctor, have bloods done, only to be told I was fine. This happened 2/3 times, fast forward to 6 months ago and FINALLY a doctor mention I had 'subclinical hypothyroid" but in fact when she looked back at all my other results, everytime I got a blood test it had showed this but no other doctor had mentioned it?

Anyway she decided to treat me on a really small dose of thyroxine (25mg) and I've been on this for about 4 months now. I had a follow up blood test 6 weeks after starting and they said my levels were at normal again and to continue that dose. I have been feeling really good since starting it and energy levels have increased. However, the last two weeks I have been a wreck and feeling all the symptoms I use to have before starting- I guess my question is today - has anyone found they initially were good on the medicated dose but then had to up it at a later date? I am not meant to go for another review for a bit but not sure if I should go and chat to them about how I am feeling?

THank you in advance for any of your advice. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucinda.. I also have sub clinical hypo..for 15 months. was fine on 25mg for roughly 6 months then like you started feeling rough again. Went back to docs.. more bloods .. long story short. Am now on 50mg levo and feel great.. this will keep happening apparently.. so definitely go and see your doctor that's what they are there for. Keep us posted

• Posted

Thank you so much Beverley- I will go back to the doctors to get it look at again smile will let you know the outcome xx
  • Posted

Hi Lucinda, yup, totally. Everything you’re dealing with is very typical. 

The thyroid meds Suppress your TSH. Initially, you get a spike in your thyroxin when you start the meds. As your system adjusts, your own thyroxin production decreases, so you need more and more medication to feel better. All the while, you’re taking away your own natural thyroid functioning ability.

The meds also have a bunch of side effects. Check out the thousands of posts in the levothyroxin group from people who find the beds ineffective and rampant with side effects.

There was a 5 year study published last year in Scotland showing kevothyroxin is ineffective at treating symptoms over time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.