Hypothyroid-started meds 2 months ago still feel horrible

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi-I started Levo (generic synthroid) 2 months ago-my thyroid levels are already back to normal at 1.75 TSH on only .50 of Levo-which I guess is good? on the first try. The thing is I am still feeling horrible! I think I went undiagnosed for at least a year-all the while gaining a LOT of weight-which 3 doctors dismissed as my fault of over eating-until I could get a correct diagnosis-from a doctor who did thorough testing. Anyhow-I am having horrible lower back muscle pain-my vitamin D levels were also very low-I have been taking vitamin D for 3 months and my levels are already at 33 verses 22-before the vitamins. Just wondering how long it takes to start "seeing the light" once your levels are in the normal range. I am also still very short of breath-when exerting myself ect. Since this has probably been coming on for several years-I am a realist and realize it's not going to be solved overnight-but wondering about others experiences? Thanks in advance! And curious-does anyone else have the pain in their muscles upon exertion or even walking long distances?! It's ridiculious. I am not in my 20's...or anything but am in my 40's....still I'm feeling like I"m about 90 years old right now!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi April, my exierience was the kevithyroxin lowered my TSH, but dud little for the actual hypothyroid symptoms and actually caused more thyroid symptoms. 

There was a huge 5 year study done in Scottland recently, that shows levothyroxin doesn’t improve thyroid symptoms. It was a very controlled study on elderly people on low doses. You could certainly apply these results to general populations and other doses. 

I found it to be ineffective at any dose, and it caused a whole cascade of other health problems that are way worse than my thyroid disease.

• Posted

I tried a dozen different meds. They don’t work because they all suppress your own production of thyroxin. The meds interrupt yge thyroid feedback loop in the wrong spot. Its like trying to treat a kidney infection by pouring bleach in the toilet, when you really just need to drink more water. I don’t know if that makes sense.

I got off all the meds and went to essential amino acids and phenylalanine. My thyroid disease is pretty advanced, so I figure if it worked for me, it should work for a lot of people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.