Hypothyroid - Symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone else suffer with the below symptoms with hypothyroidism

Anxiety - constant worry over health and that something else is wrong

Dizzy spells - not passing out but a strange feeling of off balance albeit very breif

Pains around ribs especially at sternum, the little bone right at the front of rib cage - also im noticing what feels like a constant muscle twich around sternum

Shortness of breath

Heart palpatations or the awareness your heart is beating harder than usual

Heartburn and reflux

Irregular heart bpm again its often but breif ie resting heart rate is roughly 70-90bpm but spikes breifly to 40-50 or 120-130bpm

Headaches at base of skull and neck

Symptoms have me concerned there is an underlying heart issue but ecg is showing ok. For info im on 50mcg of levothyroxine initial TSH 22 now at 8.7 increase dose of levo to 75mcg but seems to make symptoms worse ?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matt

I have just recently increased from 50mg to 75mg and I have everything you have mentioned except the hreatburn.

Health anxiety is through the roof and the headache at base of skull is constant. I have seen a physio and that gets alleviated by her and good posture is helping me but the rest is equally doing my head in

I have also muscle aches and occasional twitching

• Posted

what's your TSH Kris do you feel you get palpatations too when you get anxious ?

• Posted

Hi Matt.  I had a mother blood test today to check.  Normally i have taken the doctors word for it but the way I feel at the moment I decided to look into it.  

They are providing me with test from the last 2 years. I was diagnosed July 2015. Soon as I get al the numbers I will let you know. 

I do have appintment next Friday to discuss it all.  It's a horrible condition 

• Posted

It is indeed, feels like it takes over at times, and realise how easy it is to take feeling normal for granted - what I would give to feel like I did a few years back ! Do let me know how you get on , talking with people who feel the same for me eases paranoia and gives me some sanity to how I'm feeling

• Posted

Hello Matt, the symptoms you describe are mostly typical, as thyroid disease gone untreated can result in many other health conditions, compounding things. Hypothyroid disease slows metabolism, which causes your body to shut down all but the most important functions. So by the time you're having heart problems, the thyroid disease is likely fairly advanced.

One of the difficulties of thyroid disease is the residual illnesses resulting, and this, in fact, make diagnoses extremely difficult. Because eventually, with thyroid disease, you have so many issues that you can't tell what's causing what. Plus brainfog makes it impossible to sort out your symptoms yourself, so yes, you feel paranoid. You aren't. That's just thyroid disease. 

• Posted

Will it get better do you think ? Maybe worth seeing if there's an alternative Medication . I feel it's consuming me at the moment go to sleep worried about how I'm feeling and wake up the same way

• Posted

Hi Matt, the progression of medications is generally:

levothyroxin---> NDT ----> OTC glandular (i.e. ThyroGold) 

If you don the get relief from the meds, as many people don't, this is the path. Unfortunately it takes years. The ThyroGold works better because it's the closest to bioidentical. This will even work for people who've had a thyroidectomy.

i have severe thyroid disease and only got worse with meds. I finally got some relief from aminomacid therapy

• Posted

I had insanely horrible anxiety on levothyroxin, which never really went away until I eventually went off the meds. While some people have anxiety from thyroid disease, others have it worse from the meds.

Take a look at the side effects listed for the levothyroxin, you should receive a copy of side effects with your prescription. You'll see that a list of the side effects of thyroid medications are almost exactly the same as hypothyroid symptoms.

• Posted

hi Catherine sorry I noticed you say it never went away until you went off the Meds, are you taking an alternative or do you no longer require it ?
  • Posted

Hi Matt,

Just wondering if you drink alot of coffee this could make you have heart palputations. I stopped drinking coffee and now when i drink it with my thyroid meds it makes my heart race and I get stomach pains if i drink to many cups. Maybe cut it out of your diet for a while if you do and see if that helps.

• Posted

i do Claire, I was advised to stop drinking it or switch to decaf, which I did but didn't seem to aleiviate it much. I do always wait over 30 mins before first coffee after taking meds, 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.