Hypothyroidism?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I could do with some help if anyone is willing to read this very long post!

I'm a 22 year old woman. The last year or so I've had fairly manageable fatigue which I never thought a lot of, but in the last few months it's become awful to the point that I can barely get out of bed in the morning, take at least one day off from work a week (despite loving my job) and tell myself I'll work at home but end up in bed all day. The days I do go in I'm often in well after 9, and generally have to head home around 3 or 4 beacuse I'm so exhausted. It's like I have a fog in my brain which makes it hard to concentrate on anything from work to conversations to films, and my short term memory is poor. I only recently found out this can be a symptom of an underactive thyroid, and I wouldn't be convinced they were linked... except that my nan, mum, both maternal aunts and my younger sister all suffer from it.

I haven't had any weight gain which I know is another common symptom but my sister has quite severe hypothyroidism and has never suffered from weight gain. I do have bad muscle/joint pain and stiffness, various mental and emotional issues to do with anxiety and depression, cold extremities, breathlessness, poor coordination, hoarse voice, swollen tongue, post-nasal drip, and dry patches of skin. I am very prone to UTIs, thrush, sore throats, headaches, and constipation. I know that these are symptoms "normal" people get all the time, but hypothyroidism is the only thing I've found that links everything I've ever thought was abnormal about me. My diet is very good and I walk fast enough to build up a sweat for an hour a day to get to and from work.

My doctor is reluctant to diagnose me with this beacuse my hormone levels are within normal range, which I understand, but she's also unwilling to discuss my symptoms and keeps sending me for more blood tests. This week I'm getting my white blood cell count checked as she thinks it could be viral because my CRP level was high - it seems unlikely to me that it would have been going on for so long if it was, but I'm no doctor. I'm also getting my Vitamin D done again as the lab forgot it last time. I'm completely open to the possibility of it not being hypothyroid, but it's the only thing I've found while researching that fits, and with every woman on my mum's side having it it does seem likely.

So my questions are: do I sound like I fit the bill? If so, how can I convince my doctor? If not, any ideas - literally anything - as to what it could be? Thank you so much to anyone who took the time to read all that, absolutely any information would be so helpful.

Blood test results for the last month, and how they were "graded":

Serum TSH: 2.2miu/L (normal)

Serum FT3: 5.8pmo/L (satisfactory)

Serum FT4: 19.2pmol/L (satisfactory)

Glucose: 2.7mmol/L (low, but I hadn't eaten before this test)

Coeliac: Negative

Liver function: Normal (can give breakdown)

Full blood count: Normal (can give breakdown)

Ferritin: 17ug/L (satisfactory)

C reactive protein: 9mg/L (high)

B12: 216ng/L (normal)

Urea and electrolytes: Normal (can give breakdown)

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all, got my next round of tests back today and I'm positive for TPO antibodies - can't get a call back from the doctor til Monday but it seems pretty likely it's Hashimoto's. Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions, really glad I've finally got an answer
    • Posted

Hello Alice:

I have had Hashimoto's since I was 27.  It is not the end of the world.  I am now 54 and you can live a good long life as long as you take the replacement hormone. 

It will help keep your body working well, and once you build a level, which can take 6 to 8 weeks, the bad symptoms will subside.

If I can be of any help, just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you for replying, it's really reassuring to hear from others. I'm sure I'll be back soon with lots of questions! Take care x
    • Posted

Hi Shelly

I wondered if you knew if NDT is prescribed in the US? It is not routinely prescribed in the UK apparently.

Cindy

• Posted

Hello Cindy:

NDT, called Armour Thyroid in USA and a few others are prescribed for people who need it.  I was on it for years, before my doctor discovered my converting T4 problem.  It is a fine medication and can be bought online via Amazon and other websites I hear.  I also hear you can get it without a prescription online, and a few women on the forum do that.

In the USA we pay for insurance and are not on socilaized medicine like UK is.  We have to pay a percentage of the cost of the medication depending on our insurance plan and it was under $10.00 dollars when I was on it.

I am now on T3 alone Liothyronine (Cytomel) since I can't convert T4 LEVO.

NHS is bound by certain rules and reg's because of the socialized medicine set-up.  USA operates on private insurance plans. Also this medication is a natural mediciation made from a pig and you can't  patent a pig and  claim it as your own. 

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly

Thank you for the information.

I was reading a medical book on thyroid disorders and it has left me feeling puzzled in some respects because it states that carbimazole may be dangerous..

I also read that nodular goitre and sub clinical hyperthyroidism can lead to osteoporosis and cardiac disease and should be treated with rai but a few days ago I also read that there is no evidence to support this.

I wondered if you knew anything to back up the original claims.

Cindy

• Posted

Hi Cindy,

You have just read an article on hyperthyroidism while you are at the other end of the scale with hypothyroidism. Hyper is an overactive thyroid while hypo is an underactive thyroid. Yes, Carbimazole can be dangerour, it slows things down and an overdose can slow you down too much and put you in a coma. Levo can also be dangerous, too much can speed you up into hyperthyroidism - which could put a strain on your heart.

That is the gist of our problems, it takes a great deal of patience on the patients part as well as the doctor to fiddle around with the dose in order to get you just right. Very often your doctor gets fed up with the process and doesn't see it through. My doctor took 2-3 years (yes, years!) to get me to the right dose, it takes tenacity on the part of both parties.

Regarding the other comment, I have hypo and when my TSH is suppressed (it has been for 8 years) they say this is a hyper condition (it is not) and it will cause osteoporosis - it did not, in fact my bone density got even better. I can understand why it may affect the heart, but it hasn't caused me any harm so far - however - all thyroid meds can raise your blood pressure, you have to watch this one, another factor to be careful trying to get to your critical levels.

• Posted

Hi LAH

I was diagnosd with hyperthyroidism as the TSH was low being 0.14. Are yu saying that i have been incorrectly diagnosed!!

I was sweating excessively , very agitated, anxious, depressed, throbbing sensation in one eye.

I would be grateful for your thoughts on this.

• Posted

Cindy, I'd like to know if I've understood correctly. Are you saying that when you were on no medication, your TSH was 0.14? And you were getting symptoms of sweating, agitated, anxious and depressed? If so, you have been correctly diagnosed as having an overactive thyroid, (hyperactive)?

If you are getting these symptoms after taking thyroxine treatment for an underactive thyroid (hypoactive) then you are being over medicated with thyroxine and need to reduce the dose. It is the second of these to which LAHs is referring. It all depends whether you are taking thyroxine or not when you had the blood test results of TSH = 0.14.

• Posted

Hi Barbara and Cindy,

My apologies Cindy I thought because you were asking about NDT that you were hypo and obviously your symptoms and TSH point to hyper. And yes, Barbara sorted it all out, I agree with everything she says, thanks for that input Barbara.

Cindy, you might want to go down to the pharmacy (chemist?) and measure your blood pressure, throbbing in any part of the head whilst hyper might suggest seriously high blood pressure.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am not taking any medication yet. I am dissatisfied with this poor treatment.

The T4 and thyroid peroxidase antibodies were within normal reference ranges.T3 was not done.

I have never been on any thyroid medication. I am very worried about all this.

I see on another forum that a lot of people are dissatisfied with the care of thyroid patients in the UK.

I feel destrauht at being left without treatment.

I was enquiring about NDT because I am having signs and symptoms of both hypo and hyper at different times of course. I do not know what to do anymore.In the US these symptoms would have been treated by now.

I read a book iwritten by a dr n which it stated that people with a nodular goitre should have RAI and it is safe because it will not knock the thyroid gland out and therefore will not lead to being on thyroxine for the rest of my life.

In the same book ,bought from a chemists, it says that Carbimazole is safe. Yet I read conflicting views on a forum elsewhere.

Thanks again for replying.

• Posted

Thanks LAH. No problem.

I am already taking an anti hypertensive drug. I monitor my BP myself at home then advise the GP accordingly. the headaches started over one year ago .

I was investigated tehn told they are due to tense neck muscles.

I am still awaiting treatment so that is why I was inquiring aboutNDT because my thyroid appears to fluctuate between hypo and hyper.

Thanks for your concern anyway.

Cindy.

• Posted

Cindy, what was the range you were given for the TSH result? The range in the uk is usually around 0.4-4.9. As you can see your TSH result is too low, suggesting that your thyroid is overactive, (i.e. hyperthyroid). However as your T4 result is in range the results are inconclusive, as your TSH suggests hyperactive but your T4 result says you're not. This may mean your doctor has adopted a wait and see approach. Unfortunately they are not on the receiving end of your symptoms! You could do with some explanation from your doctor what they think is going on, what the options are and what action they propose and why. Have you been asked to go back to have another blood test after a month or two?
    • Posted

Cindy, Physiotherapy would help sort out the tense neck muscles. As will having the correct posture at all times. I know because I have a problem with tight neck muscles.

Are you in the UK? I am. In my area, we can 'self refer' to a physiotherapist. Ask your GP and if your area does self referral they will give you the physio's phone mumber and you just ring them. Pilates is good for posture and hypertension.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.