hypothyroidism

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone ,i have been hypothyroid for 3 years and ive been taking 100mcg of thyroxine untill november 14 when my medication was increased to 125mcg a day ,at first i felt happier ,had more energy and clearer thinking although still needing a nap in the afternoon ,suddenly thats changed and im feeling very anxious ,i only ever felt anxious once before when my ovaries were removed last march ,that lastest a few months and got better ,the dr said my thyroid is at the higher end of normal at 23 ,i have no idea what that means and he said my anxiety has nothing to do with my thyroid ,this is really worrying me ,do you think i might be slightly hyperthyroid and cut down on my meds ,confused .com 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi lovely, I don't actually recognise the numbers you have said. 23 (if in normal scale used is waaay in the hypo end. If 2.3 then just nicelywithin the normal range, and if .23 then going hyper. The normal accepted range in UK is now 5.5 - 0.5, though the US uses a tighter range of 3.5 - .5. I would suggest you get a written report of the results and repost here. If they try telling you you can't see them, they are lying, you have legal rights to do so! Can I suggest you also sign up to the Facebook page Hypothyroid UK, where you will find a whole bunch more of help, info and support. Xx
    • Posted

Thankyou pippa i,ll get a copy of my last results this week and post them ,i feel terrible ,the anxiety is unbearable i normally feel so laid back and relaxed .x
  • Posted

I believe I have read that it can flip into hyper.  I don't know what that 23 means either and I think you NEED to ask, and please read read read about this condition.  The doctors are not always well informed on research. 
  • Posted

Hi Val, I was diagnosed with hypo about 18 months ago. It has been a very challenging journey as I am sensitive to most medicine's. I took myself off thyroxin after 6 months as I felt as bad on it as off it, so my endocrinologist has prescribed liothyronine (T3 instead of T4) which might be a bit gentler but not that much. I feel like I am hypo without meds but hyper with it. I know I need it and am hoping my body will start accepting it. Anxiety is almost definitely to do with the thyroid; nobody can begin to imagine what it is like with thyroid issues unless they have experienced it, even doctors. If you are at the high end of normal I would be asking my doctor to reduce the meds slightly to see if that works. It seems like the thyroid is a very sensitive organ. I wish you well, Wendy
    • Posted

hi wendy If im am slightly hyper and my dosage is decreased how long will it take for the anxiety to reduce ,my doctor gave me antidepressants and said they would calm me down but im not depressed ,he said my thyroid meds couldnt possibly make me feel anxious and lower them a bit if you want to ,its been 3 years and ive never been referd to an endocrynologist ,this anxiety started 2 months after an increase from 100mcg to 125 a day ,my heart feels like its in my mouth its awfull .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.